[sci.electronics] Prototyping cards

clements@bbn.com (Bob Clements) (02/27/90)

Where does one get a reasonable prototyping card for PC/XT/AT
machines?

In the old days there was a company who made a mostly-blank S-100
bus board with lots of empty area, with power busses, and with
the address decode and data buffering that you _always_ need
actually provided in etch.  You added the chips for those and then
started wiring your kludge.  It was even reasonably cheap.

For the PC/XT/AT all I've seen are the ones from Vector.  They cost
$60-$70 and have no basic logic provided.

Anyone know of anything better?

Thanks,
Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com

sehr@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (David C. Sehr) (02/27/90)

I was looking for the same thing, and the best prices I've seen were
from JDR Microdevices.  They sell a bare board for the XT for $27.95
and a version with ``I/O decoding layout'' for $29.95.  A parts kit
for $8.95 allows you to populate the I/O decoding portion of the board.
They have boards for the AT and PS/2 for slightly higher prices.

If anyone knows of better prices, I'd be interested as well.

David

-----
UUCP:	 {seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!sehr
ARPANET: sehr%uicsrd@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	 sehr%uicsrd@uiuc.csnet
BITNET:	 sehr@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

ardai@bass.bu.edu (Michael Ardai) (02/27/90)

In article <1990Feb27.034041.29652@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sehr@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (David C. Sehr) writes:
>I was looking for the same thing, and the best prices I've seen were
>from JDR Microdevices. [...]
>If anyone knows of better prices, I'd be interested as well.

If you can live with a half-size card, Radio Shack has a prototyping
board that can be trimmed to fit in a PC.  Part 276-192 ($4.99) is a
4-1/2 x 5-11/16 board with one pad per hole and a 72 position 100 mil
connector.  Definitely not as nice as the JDR one, but much cheaper.
They also sell both 8-bit and 16-bit card edge connectors...

>-----
>UUCP:	 {seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!sehr
>ARPANET: sehr%uicsrd@a.cs.uiuc.edu
>CSNET:	 sehr%uicsrd@uiuc.csnet
>BITNET:	 sehr@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
/mike

\|/ Michael L. Ardai ...!sun!teraida!maven.DECNET!ardai (preferred)
/|\                      ardai@bu-pub.bu.edu