[sci.electronics] 2764 UVEPROM.

miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) (02/24/90)

Does anyone know a way of protecting the data that's been stored in a 2764,
8KX8, EPROM ?. Is there a way of safegarding data stored in such devices
once one gives the device to someone else ?. I read the spec sheets and found
no provisions for 'security bits', ala PALs, so I'm curious as to how one might
get around to solving such a problem. I would greately appreciate any help in
this matter.

			Thanks in advanced,  BIG DAVE.

David P. Miller - Loral Instrumentation.
8401 Aero Drive, San Diego, California  92123      /    USUAL   \
(619) 560-5888                  USA                \ DISCLAIMER /

miller@loral.cts.com
     "Uma vez Flamengo, sempre Flamengo. Flamengo sempre eu hei de ser ..."

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (02/24/90)

In article <2446@loral.UUCP> miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
>Does anyone know a way of protecting the data that's been stored in a 2764,
>8KX8, EPROM ?. Is there a way of safegarding data stored in such devices

  Is this a joke posting that I haven't been told about? (like the WOM chip)

  If not, I think this is a great example of how the signal to noise ratio
  on the internet is becoming :-).

  Seriously though, if you want to protect your data, you should contact
  Nintendo or Tengen.

--
%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%

deraadt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Theo Deraadt) (02/25/90)

In article <2446@loral.UUCP>, miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
> Does anyone know a way of protecting the data that's been stored in a 2764,
> 8KX8, EPROM ?. Is there a way of safegarding data stored in such devices
> once one gives the device to someone else ?. I read the spec sheets and found
> no provisions for 'security bits', ala PALs, so I'm curious as to how one
> might .......

thank you for making my belly ache... feels good..
Seriously, see if you can get a processor in the same family that has
an eprom available on chip. Many do have lock bits.
 <tdr.

SunOS 4.0.3: /usr/include/vm/as.h,  Line 44	| Theo de Raadt
Is it a typo? Should the '_'  be an 's'?? :-)	| deraadt@enme.ucalgary.ca

In article <2446@loral.UUCP> miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
>Does anyone know a way of protecting the data that's been stored in a 2764,
>8KX8, EPROM ?. Is there a way of safegarding data stored in such devices
>once one gives the device to someone else ?. I read the spec sheets and found
>no provisions for 'security bits', ala PALs...

Um, how could such a protected EPROM function?  The *purpose* of memory
chips is to yield their contents on demand.  If a snooper can't read your
EPROM, the CPU that is supposed to run code from it can't either.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

hoang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dzung Hoang) (02/25/90)

In article <1990Feb24.151348.29738@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) writes:
>In article <2446@loral.UUCP> miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
>>Does anyone know a way of protecting the data that's been stored in a 2764,
>>8KX8, EPROM ?. Is there a way of safegarding data stored in such devices
>
>  Is this a joke posting that I haven't been told about? (like the WOM chip)
>
>  If not, I think this is a great example of how the signal to noise ratio
>  on the internet is becoming :-).
>
>  Seriously though, if you want to protect your data, you should contact
>  Nintendo or Tengen.

    On the serious side, if by "protection," the original poster means
write/erase protection, then there are one-time programmable (OTP) versions
of certain 27XXX EPROMs.  I saw ones for the 27128 and up but not for the
2764.  Other ways to protect the EPROM is to put an piece of opaque tape
over the round window.

Dzung Hoang
hoang@comus.cs.tulane.edu                   hoang@rex.cs.tulane.edu
hoang@comus.UUCP                            hoang@rex.UUCP
tulane!comus!hoang                          tulane!rex!hoang

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) (02/27/90)

In article <2446@loral.UUCP> miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
>Does anyone know a way of protecting the data that's been stored in a 2764,

	Try swapping around a few addr an/or data lines. It won't
	prevent someone from copying it, but will make it harder
	to use.

	A security fuse cannot protect a ROM - after all, the CPU must
	get the data somehow. I can sell you a large quantity of write-only
	memories - under 10mW, 1Megx8, 100nsec for a good price.... :)

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (02/27/90)

In article <2446@loral.UUCP> miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
>Does anyone know a way of protecting the data that's been stored in a 2764,
>8KX8, EPROM ?. Is there a way of safegarding data stored in such devices
>once one gives the device to someone else ?. I read the spec sheets and found
>no provisions for 'security bits', ala PALs, so I'm curious as to how one might
>get around to solving such a problem. I would greately appreciate any help in
>this matter.

Depends on what you're trying to protect.  If you want to keep people
from duplicating the ROM, you're out of luck.  If you want people not to
be able to read the data out of the rom and use it some other way,
you can make it a little harder.

You can store your data in encrypted form, and have the decryption
performed based on a user-entered key, without which the system won't
work.  Anyone with the key has your info.

You can scramble the address and data lines, which will prevent the data
from being quite so easily read out from the raw chip, but won't stop
anyone who has access to the device it's installed in.

Essentially, because any piece of hardware is a closed system, outside
of autodestruct mechanisms there is nothing you can do to stop someone
who is determined enough from figuring out how it works.  All you can do
is make it cost them more.
	- Brian

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (02/28/90)

In article <2446@loral.UUCP>, miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
> Does anyone know a way of protecting the data that's been stored in a 2764,
> 8KX8, EPROM ?. Is there a way of safegarding data stored in such devices
> once one gives the device to someone else ?. I read the spec sheets and found
>no provisions for 'security bits', ala PALs, so I'm curious as to how one might
> get around to solving such a problem. I would greately appreciate any help in
> this matter.

If you want a portable source of protected data, you could try the
Dallas Semiconductor  DS5000 (if it exists yet).  It's a 8051 with
a battery backup ram (8k or 32K bytes), with a decrypter in the program
fetch.

"When activated, the device loads and executes the software in an encrypted
form, rendering the contents of the RAM and the execution of the program
unintelligible to the outside observer. ... Any attempt to discover the key
value results in its erasure, rendering the contents of the Program/Data
RAM useless."

The datasheet is marked Preliminary, so I don't know if its real yet.
Its the most paranoid part I've seen on the commercial market.

markz@ssc.uucp

topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) (03/01/90)

In article <1990Feb24.151348.29738@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) writes:
>In article <2446@loral.UUCP> miller@loral.UUCP (BIG DAVE) writes:
>>Does anyone know a way of protecting the data that's been stored in a 2764,
>>8KX8, EPROM ?. Is there a way of safegarding data stored in such devices
>
>  Seriously though, if you want to protect your data, you should contact
>  Nintendo or Tengen.

 How does Nintendo protect their programs or prevent other non-Nindento
programs from running?  What type of mechanism is this?