[sci.electronics] Buying electronics at auctions

John Hawkins@stdc01.UUCP (John Hawkins) (02/23/90)

I noticed someone mentioned buying  "a dozen" CD players at auction and
fixing them up... All of which got me to wondering... Where do such auctions
occur? Can all sorts of equipment be acquired in this way? How about
a list of your favorite auction "hot spots" and the type of equipment you
have purchased, and your degree of satisfaction...

I've heard the fed's have an auction/surplus facility somewhere around
DC but I've also heard they peddle a lot of junk in huge lots which must be
bought sight unseen. Sounded like no bargain to me.

Anyway, email (or post if you must) and I'll try to summarize.

--
-- John F. Hawkins               Email:        ...!mcnc!rti!stdc01!hawkins   --
-- this space available for      Paper: 6716 Ebon Court Raleigh, NC 27615    --

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (02/25/90)

In article <608@stdc01.UUCP>, John Hawkins@stdc01.UUCP (John Hawkins) writes:
> I noticed someone mentioned buying  "a dozen" CD players at auction and
> fixing them up... All of which got me to wondering... Where do such auctions
> occur?

Most commercial auctions are well advertised in the classified section of
the newspaper.  They want a lot of people to come.

> I've heard the fed's have an auction/surplus facility somewhere around
> DC but I've also heard they peddle a lot of junk in huge lots which must be
> bought sight unseen. Sounded like no bargain to me.

See "The Next Whole Earth Catalog" for a two page section on the sources
of government surplus.

For the DOD, you fill out a questionaire with what geographic areas and
categories you are interested in, and the computer in Battle Creek sends
you every catalog that matches.  Ask for too much, and you wouldn't believe
how full your mailbox can get.  You can inspect the goods, but they are kept
on some really out of the way military installations.

markz@ssc.uucp

hbg6@citek.UUCP (John Schuch) (02/27/90)

In article <608@stdc01.UUCP> John Hawkins@stdc01.UUCP (hawkins) writes:
>I noticed someone mentioned buying  "a dozen" CD players at auction and
>fixing them up... All of which got me to wondering... Where do such auctions

I'll post this since it seems to be of general interest. I bought the CD
players, as well as amps, tuners, and casette decks at a 'defective
returns' auction for a major (grossly overpriced) department store. I
guess their margin is so high, when a customer return a unit, the
warehouse stores them and periodicaly sells them off rather than sending
them to the manufacturer (in Japan). Most of the defects in nearly
new equipment are fairly easy to repair. If you have the idea this
is penny ante bargains, think again. I paid a little over $2000 for the
lot. I eventually sold it a piece at a time for about $2800 as well
as kept some of the 'choice' pieces for my self. The REAL deals are
at industrial salvage/scrap auctions.

Here in Phoenix, we have a fairly large assortment of high tech
manufacturers most of whom hold auctions. At these auctions, your
likely to find a wild assortment of goodies. For example, at a recent
Motorola auction you could have bought 200 pounds of misc electronic
components, or 46 mops and pails, a dead fork lift, one of 25
oscilloscopes, 185 pounds of one inch chrome nuts, etc., etc..
The good stuff is usually at the end of the sale. They arange it
that way so just maybe you'll buy that lot of 500 dirty ashtrays
while your waiting for them to get to the 4 year old Tek scope.
If your patient, good deals can be had at these sales.
RECENT ACQUISITIONS: HP 9 track tape unit in roll around rack, $30.
5 DecWriter printers, $20. 4 UDS 1200 modems, $35. Brand new in the
box 19 inch B&W monitor, $5. 1972 Cadillac CoupDeVille, $400 ( my
wife is STILL pissed about that one :-) )
Just be forewarned, your up against the pro's here. There are plenty
of guys who make their living buying this stuff. After a while you'll
know them. The desk and file cabinet guys, the scrap metal guys, the
test equipment guys, etc. These people usually know exactly what a
lot is worth and have PLENTY of cash to spend. That brings up another
point; take cash. I've never seen an auctioneer accept plastic and
ones who accept checks are VERY rare. Also expect to pay a cash deposit
for a bidders number. At sales around here that can range from $20
to $300. Don't worry, if you don't buy anything, you get all of your
money back. It's sort of like having to flash your cash before the
boys will let you in the poker game. Your deposit shows you actually
have the ability to buy something before they go through the paper
work. Also, if you win the bid, YOU OWN IT!. You may not change your
mind. ( another reason they have the deposit ). After ten years of
aution going, I can tell you there's only one rule:
Decide what a lot's worth TO YOU and NEVER bid higher than that
amount. Not even one dollar. I've learned that the very hard way,
by wasting a few hundred dollars.

I could go on about estate sales, abondoned storage, DEA, state surplus,
etc.  If interested, let me know.

John

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (03/01/90)

In article <12539@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, hbg6@citek.UUCP (John Schuch) writes:
> That brings up another
> point; take cash. I've never seen an auctioneer accept plastic and
> ones who accept checks are VERY rare. Also expect to pay a cash deposit
> for a bidders number. At sales around here that can range from $20
> to $300.

In Seattle, it's the opposite.  The auctioneers take plastic, and no bidder
deposit is required up front.  Personal Checks are heavily discouraged.

>  Also, if you win the bid, YOU OWN IT!. You may not change your
> mind. ( another reason they have the deposit ).

And read the terms of the auction.  If it says payment by the end of
the day, and removal by the end of the next day, they mean it.  I
ran into a guy I recognized from an auction, and he told me a story
of blowing a 4K$ deal because he couldn't get the money there that
evening and the second (losing) bidder was offered, and purchased the lot.

> After ten years of
> aution going, I can tell you there's only one rule:
> Decide what a lot's worth TO YOU and NEVER bid higher than that
> amount. Not even one dollar.

Having seen used computer gear go for 25 percent more than the new price
in Computer Shopper, the cost of letting your enthusiasm get away from you
can't be overemphasized.  It's a good idea to not even bid on any item
at the first auction you go to.  And show up on time (I'm always dragging
in an hour late and finding the good stuff went early).

markz@ssc.uucp