[sci.electronics] Need Sony Diskman CD remote control interface info

zmact61@doc.ic.ac.uk (D Spinellis) (02/26/90)

I am planning to build an interface to program a Sony Diskman CD player
from a computer.  The idea is to store track sequences for various CD's
on disk and download them to the player.  The player (model DP-250, probably
sold under some other name in the States) has an input jack that looks like
a stereo minijack, labeled `remote'.  Does anyone know the pin assignments,
electrical characteristics and the protocol for the interface?  Information
on interfaces of other models could be useful, since many share the same logic.
Post or mail replies, I will summarize.  When I finish I will post schematics
and software.

Diomidis
--
Diomidis Spinellis                  Internet:                 dds@cc.ic.ac.uk
Department of Computing             UUCP:                    ...!ukc!iccc!dds

ssy@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (02/27/90)

In article <1631@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> dds@cc.ic.ac.uk (Diomidis Spinellis) writes:
>a stereo minijack, labeled `remote'.  Does anyone know the pin assignments,

I'm working on interfaces for the car and home versions of the DiskJockey, but
I do have a Sony linear tracking, linear skating turntable also.

Why does this matter?  Well, the turntables and cass. players usually have a
sync. port so that the cass. will begin recording as soon as the turntable
starts up.  There exists a high probability that this is what you have.

I suggest that you order the schematics from Sony.  I was surprised at how easy
obtaining the ones for my 10-Disc players was.

Kyler Laird                  I'm  the NRA             ky@en.ecn.purdue.edu

whoffman@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Walt Hoffman) (02/28/90)

In article <1631@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> dds@cc.ic.ac.uk (Diomidis Spinellis) writes:
>I am planning to build an interface to program a Sony Diskman CD player
>from a computer.  The idea is to store track sequences for various CD's
>on disk and download them to the player.  The player (model DP-250, probably
>sold under some other name in the States) has an input jack that looks like
>a stereo minijack, labeled `remote'.  Does anyone know the pin assignments,
>electrical characteristics and the protocol for the interface?  Information
>on interfaces of other models could be useful, since many share the same logic.

I am also interested in that information.  I have a Sony D-160 portable for
the car with the same jack for remote.  It is an available option for Sony
players and sells in Los Angeles for $45.  It has a small stereo jack with
an IR LED mounted at 90 degrees.  A small handheld remote is included.  I don't
know if there is additional circuitry inside the unit you plug into the player.
Sony does like surface-mount technology so anything is possible.  I have a Sony
receiver already and plan to use that for control.

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dave "bd" Hsu) (03/01/90)

In article <3714@sage.cc.purdue.edu> ssy@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
>In article <1631@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> dds@cc.ic.ac.uk (Diomidis Spinellis) writes:
>>a stereo minijack, labeled `remote'.  Does anyone know the pin assignments,
>
>Why does this matter?  Well, the turntables and cass. players usually have a
>sync. port so that the cass. will begin recording as soon as the turntable
>starts up.  There exists a high probability that this is what you have.

Not really, Kyler; you're thinking of a simple open/close remote loop
jack.  Sony uses a stereo miniplug which provides ground (barrel),
+Vcc (barrel/right), and returns a serial signal (tip/left).  The
remote receiver accessory contains only one active component, an IR
receiver and integrated FM decoder housed in a metal can.  The handheld
remote transmits the same codes used by Sony's large components.  The
receiver appears to simply send the pulse trains along to the player.

I suppose you could use the Radio Shack IR detector to copy the
remote's commands into your computer, then transmit them directly
to the player through a TTL-level annunciator, but until my copy of
the D15 schematics arrives I can only guess.  The plug-in receiver does
place a constant drain on the battery, so you should disconnect it when
you put your player away.

-dave

--
Dave Hsu	 Systems Research Center, Building 115    (301) 454 8867
hsu@eng.umd.edu  The Maryversity of Uniland, College Park, MD 20742-3311

"We plan ahead.  That way, we don't do anything right now."