[sci.electronics] Mercury vs. Aluminum

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (03/02/90)

In article <1990Feb27.055111.18154@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) writes:
+In article <89936@psuecl.bitnet> peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) writes:
+>own probe.  We went with aluminum as it appeared unaffected by mercury.
+>
+The mercury cannot amalgamate the aluminum though the oxide coat. Aluminium
+can be amalgamated with certain mercury salts which is useful if you want to
+react the aluminum with something that cannot break through the oxide layer.
+

 Seems to me that if you *scratch* the surface of aluminum, put some of the
liquid mercury onto the freshly opened surface, then add some water; the
aluminum is somehow corroded or eaten-up. Anyone else tried this?  I read
about the reaction somewhere...what was that class...zzzzz! ;-)
--
-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+
Citicorp(+)TTI                          *----------> panic trap; type = N+1 *

forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) (03/02/90)

In article <10391@ttidca.TTI.COM> sorgatz@ttidcb.tti.com (Erik Sorgatz - Avatar) writes:
> Seems to me that if you *scratch* the surface of aluminum, put some of the
>liquid mercury onto the freshly opened surface, then add some water; the
>aluminum is somehow corroded or eaten-up. Anyone else tried this?  I read
>about the reaction somewhere...what was that class...zzzzz! ;-)
>--
>-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+
>Citicorp(+)TTI                          *----------> panic trap; type = N+1 *
>3100 Ocean Park Blvd. Santa Monica, CA  90405     +-------------------------+
>{csun,philabs,psivax,pyramid,quad1,rdlvax,retix}!ttidca!sorgatz **

Aluminum is extremely reactive and it oxides immediately after the oxide
layer is broken. If you put a puddle of mercury on an Al plate and then
scratch it,it might work but it is not a practicle method of amalgamating Al.

		Jeff