[sci.electronics] NEEDED: Really small motors

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (02/27/90)

I once saw a solar powered do-dad which fed a motor about the size
of a 100uF electrolytic cap (1/2 inch by 3/8th inch).  Does anybody
have the address of a company which would stock and sell such motors?
All the motor manuals I have don't even deal with motors as small as
those found in electric race cars and I need ones at least half that
size.

Thanx in advance.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) (02/27/90)

I recently saw info in the U.K. electronics press about a motor implemented
on an IC.  I doubt its available at the mo.  If I can find out more I'll let
you know.
tk
.

Disclaimer: "You can't pin that wrap on me."

hpoppe@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (02/28/90)

In article <34616@watmath.waterloo.edu> mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) writes:

>I once saw a solar powered do-dad which fed a motor about the size
>of a 100uF electrolytic cap (1/2 inch by 3/8th inch).  Does anybody
>have the address of a company which would stock and sell such motors?
>All the motor manuals I have don't even deal with motors as small as
>those found in electric race cars and I need ones at least half that
>size.

Find a large hobby shop specializing in model trains. Tell them you'd
like to re-motor a Z-scale locomotive. Ask them the name of the company
that makes such motors, or for a distributor. (An outfit like
Northwest Short Lines imports motors for re-motoring purposes; I don't
know if they have a motor as small as you want, however.)

A Z-scale locomotive is about as big as your little finger.

--
Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET

mikemc@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) (03/04/90)

In article <34616@watmath.waterloo.edu> mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>   I once saw a solar powered do-dad which fed a motor about the size
>   of a 100uF electrolytic cap (1/2 inch by 3/8th inch).  Does anybody
>   have the address of a company which would stock and sell such motors?
>   All the motor manuals I have don't even deal with motors as small as
>   those found in electric race cars and I need ones at least half that
>   size.

Well, it's been many years (around '80-'81), but my brother and I used to play
around with some small hobby motors (some were actually mini race car type,
some were even smaller) a lot.  We ordered them from one of the big mail order
houses (Digi-key or Jameco, I don't recall).  Look in the back of an
electronics magazine to get some addresses for such places and check their
catalogs out.  The one's we ordered were a "10 motors for $5" grab-bag type
deal.  You probably won't find anything other than low-toque, high-speed
motors, tho.

--
Disclaimer: All spelling and/or grammer in this document are guaranteed to be
            correct; any exseptions is the is wurk uv intter-net deemuns.

Mike McManus (mikemc@ncr-fc.FtCollins.ncr.com)
NCR Microelectronics
2001 Danfield Ct.                   ncr-fc!mikemc@ncr-sd.sandiego.ncr.com, or
Ft. Collins,  Colorado              ncr-fc!mikemc@ccncsu.colostate.edu, or
(303) 223-5100   Ext. 360           uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-sd!ncr-fc!garage!mikemc