[sci.electronics] SCSI

abali@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) (10/02/88)

Could someone tell me what the acronym SCSI (skuzzy) stands for?
Thanks

rodger@hpdml93.HP.COM (Rodger Anderson) (10/04/88)

>/ hpdml93:sci.electronics / abali@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) /  8:02 pm  Oct  1, 1988 /
>Could someone tell me what the acronym SCSI (skuzzy) stands for?
Small Computer System Interface
--
Rodger Anderson (rodger@hpdml93)

sic@ritcsh.UUCP (Eric A. Neulight) (10/05/88)

In article <697@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> abali@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) writes:
>Could someone tell me what the acronym SCSI (skuzzy) stands for?
>Thanks

I'm sure someone will be kind enough to correct me if I am wrong.....
but if memory serves, I think SCSI (affectionately known as scuzzy)
stands for "Small Computer Systems Interface".
Everyone Agree????

CLAIMER:  Well -- I wrote it!                       Eric Alan Neulight
"Nothing is Impossible -- Just Impractical."      Electrical Engineering
"INSANITY is just a state of mine."               Computer Science House
                                            Rochester Institute of Technology
    BITNET: EAN4762@RITVAX       UUCP: ...!rutgers!rochester!ritcv!ritcsh!sic

fred@oravax.UUCP (Charles Mills) (10/06/88)

> but if memory serves, I think SCSI (affectionately known as scuzzy)
> stands for "Small Computer Systems Interface".
> Everyone Agree????

Absolutely, except for the parenthetical aside.  SCSI is
*affectionately* known as `sexy'.  You want a different adverb.

fred

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) (10/06/88)

In article <697@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> abali@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) writes:
>Could someone tell me what the acronym SCSI (skuzzy) stands for?
>Thanks

Small Computer System Interface
See document: ANSI X3.131-1986

Someone certainly will now ask "What is ANSI?"
Ans: American National Standards Institute

doctor@ihaxa.ATT.COM (452is-Wooton) (10/07/88)

In article <697@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu>, abali@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) writes:
> Could someone tell me what the acronym SCSI (skuzzy) stands for?
> Thanks

Small Computer Systems Interface.

				Your welcome,
					Clayton James Wootton
					AT&T BELL LABS
					Naperville, Illinois

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (10/09/88)

In article <4791@ritcsh.UUCP> sic@ritcsh.UUCP (Eric A. Neulight) writes:
>In article <697@accelerator.eng.ohio-state.edu> abali@baloo.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) writes:
>>Could someone tell me what the acronym SCSI (skuzzy) stands for?
>>Thanks
>I'm sure someone will be kind enough to correct me if I am wrong.....
>but if memory serves, I think SCSI (affectionately known as scuzzy)
>stands for "Small Computer Systems Interface".
>Everyone Agree????

You are very close to right, but it actually is "Small Computer System
Interface" -- System is not plural. About half the world gets this one
wrong, so don't feel bad ;-).  My credentials, BTW, are that I was the
technical editor of the ANSI SCSI standard (There are three SCSI standards:
ANSI X3.131-1986, Standard ECMA-111, and ISO IS 9316.) I don't know who
was the official editor for the ECMA SCSI standard, but it was probably
either Mr. Cornelius van der Sel of Siemans or the ECMA Secretary General,
Mr. D. Hekimi.  The technical editor for the ISO SCSI standard is Mr.
William Burr at NIST (was NBS). Don't try to buy IS 9316 yet -- it was just
accepted last week in Tokyo and it will take Mr. Burr and the ISO editor
(Mr. Brannon) a few more months to get it published.

If you are looking for the culprit/hero? who coined the "skuzzy" pronunciation,
he is Gene Milligan of Imprimis (was CDC/MPI).

John Lohmeyer       j.lohmeyer@wichita.ncr.COM

abali@parts.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) (05/03/89)

Did anybody ever use the SCSI interface chips on the market?
I believe there are several companies such as NCR, Western Digital,
and Adaptec offering SCSI chips. I would like to use one of them,
but I heard rumors that some have unreported errors and bugs in them.
If you like to share your experiences, would you please post it here
or e-mail directly? Thanks.

-=-
Bulent Abali
Ohio State Univ., Dept.of Electrical Eng.
2015 Neil Av. Columbus, Ohio 43210

In article <2087@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> abali@parts.eng.ohio-state.edu (Bulent Abali) writes:
>I believe there are several companies such as NCR, Western Digital,
>and Adaptec offering SCSI chips. I would like to use one of them,
>but I heard rumors that some have unreported errors and bugs in them.

At least one of the newer manufacturers of such chips sells one that is
"compatible with the old chips except that we've fixed all the documented
and undocumented bugs"!
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (03/05/90)

I'm trying to figure out how to use SCSI. I have
the two latest issues of BYTE, and the latter (march) says
that the SCSI-2 specification (latest) can be downloaded
from the SCSI BBS but I don't have any way of accessing it.

Does anybody have a copy of the SCSI-2 specification or
SCSI specification that could be emailed to me (or posted,
if there is enough interest).

Thanks,

Dan

--