[sci.electronics] fine tuned electronics

akellett@csm9a.UUCP (2 PH) (02/27/90)

Howdy,

    Can anyone out there suggest an electronics book that covers the little
practical details that not only make a circuit work, but work well?  I made
an amplifier for my sister's keyboard, but right now I would put it's fidelity
at low to med, (about the quality you get from a cheap portable tape player:
a little hum, signal breaks up here and there).  I've talked to people to
solve the amplifier's specific problems; what I would like is a book that
serves as an experienced EE in a can, (with holes in it).  Please E-mail
any suggestions to akellett@csm9a.Mines.Colorado.EDU  .   I will summarize
the results and post.

Thank You,

Andy Kellett

mjf@douglass.columbia.edu (Michael Foster) (03/01/90)

The Art of Electronics, second edition, by Horowitz and Hill, is an
excellent practical electronics book.  I think it beats the Radiotron
Designer's Handbook.

adams@swbatl.UUCP (745) (03/04/90)

In article <6748@columbia.edu> mjf@douglass.columbia.edu (Michael Foster) writes:
>The Art of Electronics, second edition, by Horowitz and Hill, is an
>excellent practical electronics book.  I think it beats the Radiotron
>Designer's Handbook.

Is the Radiotron Designer's Handbook still updated and published?  I have
several from the fifties & assumed they were a long dead issue.  On
electronics books I'd also suggest the ARRL handbook.  A bit focused
but inexpensive & interesting.

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (03/06/90)

In article <6748@columbia.edu> mjf@douglass.columbia.edu (Michael Foster) writes:
-The Art of Electronics, second edition, by Horowitz and Hill, is an
-excellent practical electronics book.  I think it beats the Radiotron
-Designer's Handbook.

This is reviewed in the 3/90 issue of Scientific American.

--
jim		jharkins@sagpd1

"I've found by and large that when the flu gets you, the best thing to do (other
 than go to bed, which is boring) is to go conquer something." -Jerry Pournelle