[sci.electronics] Prototyping with SMT

kendall@lynx.uucp (Kendall Miller) (03/14/90)

In article <6220010@hpcupt1.HP.COM> glowell@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Gary Lowell) writes:

>I have a small project that I plan to put together using wire wrap. However,
>one of the chips that I want to use is available in surface mount only.
>
>Does anybody have any suggestions for protyping with SMT packages ?

	Emulation Technology has a number of adapter sockets to allow
PGA, SOIC, LCC, PLCC, etc. type parts to be used with various wire-wrap
panel layouts. The adapters are kind of expensive, though. Their part number
AG-28-28-03S-3 which adapts a 28 pin .311" SOIC to a .300" DIP costs
$79.50. Most of the cost is in the socket which is a test and burn-in
type that is designed to withstand a large number of part insertions
and removals. If you don't mind soldering the IC, they have part number
AB-28-SOL-A-M which has a PC board with pads for a 28 pin SOIC and traces
out to pins to change it to a .600" DIP. It costs only $14.00.
Unfortunately they have a minimum order requirement of $100.00, but will
still accept the order with an extra $10.00 handling charge tacked on.

Their address is:

	Emulation Technology, Inc.
	2344 Walsh Ave., Bldg. F
	Santa Clara, CA 95051

	(408) 982-0660

Ask for their catalog.

       Kendall Miller     Lynx Real-Time Systems, Inc.     (408) 370-2233