[sci.electronics] Designing a Floppy Controller

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (03/16/90)

I am responding to a very provocative article here.  I could say a lot on
the topic but I won't 'cause this ain't the forum.  If there was a
comp.product.design, I'd cross-post to that.  But I'll just say this:

In article <2798@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM> jimc@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Jim Cathey) writes:
> In article <833@gold.GVG.TEK.COM> grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) writes:
> >A good candidate is the WD37C65 from Western Digital.
>
> I myself don't think too much of the uPD765 derived controllers, which
> describes nearly everything new that's available.  They are much less flexible
> than the Western Digital (177x, 179x, 279x) series of parts.

The 'disk-format' is less flexible, but the disk interface logic is a lot
more flexible on the 765-type chips. Eg: the head unload and head
stepping rate timers are programmable with finer resolution.

> If you want
> a format that isn't used by the PC you're out of luck with the 765.  The WD
> chips would allow you to do a 1-sector-per-track format if you wished

My opinion is that it is a very good thing that all 765-written diskettes
are readable on every other floppy controller.  Remember the CP/M world?
Of course experimenters are free to do whatever they wish, but it would
be a very brain-damaged commercial product that came out with a "new"
floppy format these days.

> Also, the 765 is a pain to talk to in software when compared to the older WD
> chips.  Formatting is slightly easier, though, albeit very inflexible.

Agreed.  The driver writer will have his hands full the first time.  But
this is not a big point.  And you only have to get the *logic* right once
then you can port the skeleton around and translate into whatever machine
you're targeting.  I wrote my 1st driver for the 765 on a 6800, then ported
the same code onto a Z8, Z8000 and a Z80 system.  The comments remained
the same, only the opcodes changed :-)

> It is
> possible to write a much faster disk copier using the WD chips than the 765
> series.

Sorry, I don't buy this.  I achieved 1:1 interleave with all my drivers
and you can't do better than that.

> Are we going to be forever innundated with endless clones of
> second-rate parts (8250, 765) just because of that crummy IBM PC?

a) the 765-family is *not* 2nd rate (see above)
b) yes, I'm afraid the rest is true.  I personally have been inconvenienced
   a lot by the s/w and h/w designs in the PC.  But it's a living :-)

--
Bruce Walker          ...uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!bmw         bmw@isgtec.uucp
"What is the mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind." -- Homer Simpson