[sci.electronics] neat PC board prototyping idea

simoni@strat.Stanford.EDU (Richard Simoni) (03/15/90)

I just happened across a pretty neat idea for prototyping PC boards in an
article in the new (April 1990) issue of Modern Electronics.  It uses
overhead projector slides WITHOUT the expense of buying photosensitized
copper-clad boards or the hassle of sensitizing them yourself.

The basic technique is:  Photocopy your artwork onto the slide.  This
deposits toner onto the slide where you want the copper to remain.  Put the
toner side of the slide against the board.  Heat it to 340F using an iron or
hotplate to transfer the photocopier toner from the slide to the board.
Then simply etch the board in the usual way.  Apparently the toner works as
a pretty good etchant resist!

If you're interested in doing this yourself, I'd recommend getting a copy of
the article since the author goes into detail about what transparency films
and heating procedures work best.  From the photos in the article, it looks
like he's on to something good here.

Enjoy,

Rich Simoni

tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) (03/16/90)

In article <10181@portia.Stanford.EDU> simoni@strat.stanford.edu writes:

>I just happened across a pretty neat idea for prototyping PC boards in an
>article in the new (April 1990) issue of Modern Electronics.  It uses
>The basic technique is:  Photocopy your artwork onto the slide....

How does he avoid the parallax error introduced by the copier?

tk
Disclaimer: "You can't pin that wrap on me."