[sci.electronics] Three-legged Neon

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon LETWIN) (03/17/90)

 In article <5039.25f5c9a2@cerritos.edu> yoshinaga@cerritos.edu writes:

 >While repairing an electric blanket I came across a nifty device...
 >Physically, it looks like a 1/4w neon lamp (NE-2?), but has an
 >additional electrode - count-em three!

I don't know what this device is, but I do know that all electric blankets -
at least in the U.S. market - have thermal cutoffs sewn into them.  This is
a safety feature; you can feel them as "lumps" in the blanket wiring.  There
will be several.

Is this what you have, or can you identify the thermal cutoffs as something
different?  In any case, as folks have pointed out, sharing the same gas
is undoubtedly critical to it's operation, so you can't replace it with
two neons.

	gordon letwin