[sci.electronics] Luck

kz08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ken Zuroski) (03/05/90)

As a kid I too ran through the gambit of burning out resistors,
exploding capacitors, etc. One time I encased a transistor in Lucite
or some other type of clear plastic, leaving the leads sticking out,
then applied voltage--mini bomb.

I am horrified at some at the things I used to do, now that I look
back on them. I never had an accident, but it sure wasn't from trying,
or giving bad luck the opportunity to visit. One "experiment" that I
performed in particular reminds me (1) how kids like to "hack"; (2)
how dangerous some of things are that kids can get into, and (3),
especially, how stupid I was as a twelve-year-old. Let me briefly
relate this story, although it doesn't have much to do with
electronics.

I was raised in a very rural town in which the prevalent attitude
toward safety was cavalier at best. My father had built our house
maybe fifteen years before I was born. In order to do so, he had to
cut down trees and blast away a lot of glacial erratics (boulders)
which were prevalent in the countryside in which we lived. In order to
the latter, he used some type of dynamite.

As far back as I can remember, I recall asking my mother what was in
that "shiny box" above our head in the rafters of our garage. She
would say: "don't you dare go near there; those are dynamite caps
which your father used to clear the area" etc. etc. Of course, that
only stoked my interest.  Nowadays it seems it was rather
irresponsible of my parents to leave that lying around, of course. But
again, it was nothing that all my neighbours didn't also do, and
really didn't strike me as being at all unusual at the time.

Well, both my parents worked and so in the summers I was alone a lot.
I had one friend in the area who would walk over to play. One day we
were bored.  And so, yep, we climbed up to the rafters and took down
that box. I was about twelve years old at the time.

Once we got it open (it was all encrusted and rusted; by now it was
twenty or twenty-five years old); we looked inside and gasped.
Contrary to what my mother told me, it wasn't dynamite caps at all. It
was bona-fide sticks of dynamite. Four pieces. Like roman candles. So
old that I remember that there was some kind of oil oozing out of
them.

Now, I didn't really know anything about dynamite and still don't, but
if I found a box like that today you can bet that I would be very,
very far away from it in a second's time. Who knows how unstable it
would be after all those years? I haven't a clue; but it would seem
like a good plan just to leave it alone, wouldn't you agree? Well, can
you guess what we did, geniuses that we were (Darwinism in action,
here, folks)? Yep, that's right: we tore the paper off each stick to
get at the explosive inside. It was white and sorta like clay and so
we shaped it into little figurines. I made a dinosaur and Paul Hamby
(my friend), I remember, spent a lot of time making an enviable
likeness of the Starship Enterprise, mumbling away and talking to
himself as he worked. Then we took them into the woods and--get
this--struck matches and *lit them on fire.* I remember watching
gleefully as they flared up with an intense white light.

Whenever I am feeling depressed and thinking that life has done me a
bad turn, I remember this incident and how lucky I was.  And I
immediately am happy again, knowing that I am living when I don't
deserve to be. Anyone out there know how likely it was for this stuff
to explode?

We did a lot of stupid things--made gunpowder and pipe bombs, etc., but this
one lives in my memory as being the worst.

--ken z.

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (03/05/90)

Ah yes, I remember getting a batch of transistors removed from faulty
equipment as a gift from my brother-in-law, who worked for the phone
company. Most of them were shorted, but a few were usable.  These were
the ones encased in glass and made good photodetectors if you scraped
off the black paint. Anyway I decided to send the shorted ones off in
style and discovered that if I applied 6.3 volts from a filament
heater it would make the transistor explode, case and all. The first
one to explode sent a sliver of glass flying that hit my upper eyelid
causing a surface wound. A little bit lower and I might not be typing
this in today. Didn't discourage me, I detonated the others from a
safe distance thereafter. We were holy terrors in those days, wonder
how EEs every survive...

forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) (03/05/90)

In article <IZwNThu00VQc0GOWF1@andrew.cmu.edu> kz08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ken Zuroski) writes:
>Four pieces. Like roman candles. So
>old that I remember that there was some kind of oil oozing out of
>them.

Old dynamite sweats nitroglycerine.

>Whenever I am feeling depressed and thinking that life has done me a
>bad turn, I remember this incident and how lucky I was.  And I
>immediately am happy again, knowing that I am living when I don't
>deserve to be. Anyone out there know how likely it was for this stuff
>to explode?

Alfred Nobel made all of his money from his invention of dynamite, which
is a tame version of nitroglycerine.  Neat nitroglycerine is extremely
unstable, and it takes very little shock or heat to detonate it.  By
adsorbing it into dry clay Nobel made an explosive that was relatively
safe to transport.  While not recommended, I have heard that it can be
thrown around, stepped on, and beat on with usually little result.
Dynamite typically needs a blasting cap to set it off.  I suspect that
if one end of the stick had been lit, rather than an open mass it might
have exploded.

>We did a lot of stupid things--made gunpowder and pipe bombs, etc., but this
>one lives in my memory as being the worst.
>
>--ken z.

Jeff

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (03/05/90)

|Alfred Nobel made all of his money from his invention of dynamite, which
|is a tame version of nitroglycerine.  Neat nitroglycerine is extremely
|unstable, and it takes very little shock or heat to detonate it.  By

It is (was?) very quirky stuff too. I was reading about the
construction of the Union Pacific railroad. While the Central Pacific
stuck to raw manpower, the Union Pacific was innovative and tried
nitroglycerine (which was more effective than blasting powder) but not
without terrible accidents. One nitro explosion demolished an entire
powder shed but some other crates of nitro near the blast didn't even
go off.

Oops, this is straying from electronics...

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (03/06/90)

In article <IZwNThu00VQc0GOWF1@andrew.cmu.edu> kz08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ken Zuroski) writes:
>Once we got it open (it was all encrusted and rusted; by now it was
>twenty or twenty-five years old); we looked inside and gasped.
>Contrary to what my mother told me, it wasn't dynamite caps at all. It
>was bona-fide sticks of dynamite. Four pieces. Like roman candles. So
>old that I remember that there was some kind of oil oozing out of
>them.

The oozing oil is referred to as "sweating".  It is NOT oil but is infact semi-
hydrolyzed Nitroglycerine.

>Now, I didn't really know anything about dynamite and still don't, but
>if I found a box like that today you can bet that I would be very,
>very far away from it in a second's time. Who knows how unstable it
>would be after all those years? I haven't a clue; but it would seem

The better part of valor is PF Flyers.

>Whenever I am feeling depressed and thinking that life has done me a
>bad turn, I remember this incident and how lucky I was.  And I
>immediately am happy again, knowing that I am living when I don't
>deserve to be. Anyone out there know how likely it was for this stuff
>to explode?

You should look back on this experience as an "UNLIFTING" experience and
count your lucky stars and say thank you to your guardian angle.

How dangerous was?  The "sweat" can be caught on you finger and flicked
at a solid object.  When it hits there will be a small explosion, like
a Craker Ball that kids step on. *** this is a small drop of the nitro.

Typically a sweating stick of 60/40 dynamite (general construction mix)
will ecavuate a crater about three feet across and two feet deep. Most of
the Navy EOD (Explosive Ordance Disposal) guys I knew would gingerly move
this box to a detonation crater an blow it IMMEDIATELY!

You are definitely two lucky souls.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 730-8112

pahsnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Paul A. Houle) (03/19/90)

    Prehaps the most dramatic mini-bomb that I've made out of parts you
can buy at radio shack was a light-emitting-diode that I dipped under
liquid nitrogen.  Under liquid nitrogen,  you can operate yellow and
green LED's continuously at up to about 9 volts.  When you do that,
there are several distinct voltage levels where power consumption increases
by three orders of magnitude or so and the colors change.  Trying it
with a red LED the first time,  I blew it apart,  cracking the case and
vaporizing/fragmenting the actual semiconductor inside.  The burst sprayed
liquid nitrogen over the table which sizzled for quite a while.