[sci.electronics] Need pointer to CMOS Uart

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon LETWIN) (03/14/90)

I need a quick and easy PC interface to about 8 RS232 lines.  Performance
requirements are low so I was thinking of just wrapping a kuldge card
with several UARTs.  The last one I worked with was the 8250, 10 years ago
or so.  I find it very convenient, but I don't want to give up the real
estate and power drain to put 8 of those on a card.

If someone knows of a easy to use UART/USART, ideally CMOS and ideally
multi-channel per package, I'd appreciate it if you could email me the
part #; I'm sure that in the last 8 years there've been some good chips

	thanks
	gordon letwin

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (03/16/90)

In article <53558@microsoft.UUCP> gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon LETWIN) writes:
>I need a quick and easy PC interface to about 8 RS232 lines.  Performance
>requirements are low so I was thinking of just wrapping a kuldge card
>with several UARTs.  The last one I worked with was the 8250, 10 years ago
>or so.  I find it very convenient, but I don't want to give up the real
>estate and power drain to put 8 of those on a card.
>
>If someone knows of a easy to use UART/USART, ideally CMOS and ideally
>multi-channel per package, I'd appreciate it if you could email me the
>part #; I'm sure that in the last 8 years there've been some good chips
>
>	thanks
>	gordon letwin

     Signetics, a division of Philips Components makes the SCC2698 :
       o CMOS
       o Octal UART
       o quadruple buffered receiver data register
       o Programmable data format :
           - 5 to 8 data bits plus parity
           - Odd, even, no parity, or force parity
           - 1, 1.5 or 2 stop bits
       o Baud rate for receiver and transmitter selectable from :
           - 18 fixed rates: 50 to 38.4K
           - four user-defined rates derived from the programmable
              counter/timer associated with each of the four blocks
           - External 1X or 16X clock
       o Parity, framing, and overrun error dectection
       o False start bit detection
       o Line break detection and generation
       o Programmable channel mode :
            - Normal (full duplex), automatic echo, local loopback,
                remote loopback
       o Four multi-function programmable 16-bit counter/timers
       o Four interrupt outputs with eight maskable interrupting conditions
           for each output
       o On-chip crystal oscillator
       o TTL compatible
       o Single +5V power supplly with low power mode

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370, at Signetics  (Sunnyvale, California, USA )
{mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!facv01!gordon       ** All disclaimers apply **
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction, whether
 animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.

In article <34002@prls.UUCP> gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:
>     Signetics, a division of Philips Components makes the SCC2698 ...

Not to be cynical or anything :-), but given how nice it sounds otherwise,
and knowing Murphy like I do, I assume it's in one of those zillion-pin
packages that are hell for hobbyists to work with, and it's set up to
interface to Intel processors and nothing else?  Oh yes, and it costs
$500 in quantity 100 and is on allocation?

(I'd be happy to hear that I'm wrong...)
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

george@wombat.UUCP (George Scolaro) (03/19/90)

In article <1990Mar16.055156.19874@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <34002@prls.UUCP> gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:
>>     Signetics, a division of Philips Components makes the SCC2698 ...
>
>Not to be cynical or anything :-), but given how nice it sounds otherwise,
>and knowing Murphy like I do, I assume it's in one of those zillion-pin

>(I'd be happy to hear that I'm wrong...)

The SCC2698 is available in DIP (big) or PLCC. I have used the PLCC version,
which is 84 pins and has more i/o than the DIP ('cos its got more pins) and
it works very well. In small quantities it is around $25-30. The only
problem with the part (not a bug as such) is that it lacks sufficient
handshake signals. It would be really nice if it had tx/rx/cts/rts and
dcd/dtr. Unfortunately Signetics gave the chip a bucket of general purpose
inputs, but not enough general purpose outputs, so you need an external
latch to take care of the dtr.  The nice part is that it does do hardware
flow control with rts/cts. It's program model is nearly 100% the same as 4
separate SCN2681 Duarts.

The original requestor of info was worried about prototyping with PLCC. What
I have done in the past is to get a normal solder tail PLCC socket and then
push on a PGA wirewrap socket (lots of push) and then you have a PLCC
wirewrap socket.

regards,

--
George Scolaro
george@wombat.bungi.com                [37 20 51 N / 122 03 07 W]

In article <445@wombat.UUCP> george@wombat.UUCP (George Scolaro) writes:
>...The only
>problem with the part (not a bug as such) is that it lacks sufficient
>handshake signals...  Signetics gave the chip a bucket of general purpose
>inputs, but not enough general purpose outputs, so you need an external
>latch to take care of the dtr...

This is actually the right decision if you are short of pins.  Inputs
generally want things like edge detectors, to provide an interrupt when
something changes, and those are hard to do yourself.  Outputs just want
latches, which are off-the-shelf parts.
--

george@wombat.UUCP (George Scolaro) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar19.014241.5473@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <445@wombat.UUCP> george@wombat.UUCP (George Scolaro) writes:
>>...The only
>>problem with the part (not a bug as such) is that it lacks sufficient
>>handshake signals...  Signetics gave the chip a bucket of general purpose
>>inputs, but not enough general purpose outputs, so you need an external
>>latch to take care of the dtr...
>
>This is actually the right decision if you are short of pins.  Inputs

But they weren't short of pins. They have 16 pins for external clocks, 8 for
the receivers and 8 for the transmitters (note these pins can also be
outputs, the part is very programmable). Now, the normal user of this part
will want full modem control and the same baud rate on each receiver -
transmitter, so freeing up 8 outputs for dtr. In output mode the 16 pins
become TxRDY and RxRDY/FFULL, which don't seem to useful since they can be
read from within the part via registers. Their only use is to (optionally)
wire-or them to generate RxRDY or TxRDY interrupts (in addition to the 4
separate interrupts that come from each pair of channels - like the 2681
DUART). It just seems to me that a slightly different selection (or
superset) of options would have made the part a single chip solution rather
than needing a separate latch and hence decode circuit plus pcb routing
etc...

Note: The part has programmable baud rate control for each of the channels
internally. The reason for the external baud rate control is for some of
the higher rates (such as 115kbaud). Also, Signetics have rev-ed the part
from the original version  (this is the 2698B), and in doing so changed the
assignments of some of the input/output functions, but

so close to perfect....

regards,