[sci.electronics] What does BNC stand for?

michael@fe2o3.UUCP (Michael Katzmann) (03/14/90)

In article <393@icebox.nsc.com> waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) writes:
   >Does anyone know what BNC, as in 'BNC connector' stands for?  Does it
   >stand for anything?

BNC   -   Bayonet Navy Connector
TNC   -   Threaded Navy Connector
(& I suppose 'N' Connector is just a Navy Connector)

SMA   -   Sub-Miniture connector 'A'

email to
UUCP:       uunet!mimsy!{arinc,fe2o3}!vk2bea!michael
						  _ _ _                    _
 	Amateur	|    VK2BEA	(Australia)      ' ) ) )      /           //
 	Radio	|    G4NYV	(United Kingdom)  / / / o _. /_  __.  _  //
	Stations|    NV3Z	(United States)	 / ' (_<_(__/ /_(_/|_</_</_

schuster@dasys1.uucp (Michael Schuster) (03/20/90)

In article <393@icebox.nsc.com> waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) writes:
>Does anyone know what BNC, as in 'BNC connector' stands for?  Does it
>stand for anything?

During WWII, the requirements for connectors better than
the UHF PL-269 and SO-239 ones, to be used for radar use, prompted two designs.
The first was developed at Bell Labs by Paul Neill and was identified as the
type N connector. At the same time, another connector was devised by Carl
Concelman. Named the type C connector, it was first designed as a true
50-ohm connector. Later, Neill and Concelman collaborated on the design of a
miniature bayonet locking connector. This was dubbed the Bayonet Neill
Concelman, or BNC connector. Some time after that, an improved, threaded
version for airborne use was developed and called the Threaded Neill
Concelman connector. For precise microwave use, a series of subminiature
connectors was produced - A, B, and C. Of these, the A or subminiature
(SMA) is the most popular.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          70346.1745@compuserve.com
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP   CIS:70346,1745