[sci.electronics] HDTV for what?

dhi00@walt.testeng.amdahl.com (310 x8074) (03/17/90)

maybe i'm white trash, but i cant imagine paying anything extra just to see
Al Bundy insult Peg in high resolution.  Am i the only one who feels this way?
My 1957 Admiral black and white tv does more than enough.
:\
--
Dario Impini
Amdahl Corporation, 1250 E. Arques Ave., M/S 140, Sunnyvale, CA 94088

sorka@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alan Waterman) (03/17/90)

In article <416@walt.testeng.amdahl.com> dhi00@walt.UUCP (Dario Impini O6-310 x8074) writes:
>maybe i'm white trash, but i cant imagine paying anything extra just to see
>Al Bundy insult Peg in high resolution.  Am i the only one who feels this way?
>My 1957 Admiral black and white tv does more than enough.

Oh yea, well can you imagine not watching Star Trek, return of the Jedi, or
any number of other high action films or shows that require high resolution?

Just because Married with Children happends to be your favorite show does
not mean we should not have a 2 mega pixal standard. The typical resolution
of 35mm is about 10000X8000 with about 7 bits per primary. I can see the
improvement that 70mm brings and I don't even have 20/20 vision.

I would like to see the day where I can own a wall sized flat LCD television
with 10000X10000 resolution. The Japanes already have picture frame LCD
sets that have 1100 lines of horizontal resolution. Its a damn shame we
have to live with such an old outdated standard.

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/20/90)

In article <7067@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> sorka@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alan Waterman) writes:
|The typical resolution
|of 35mm is about 10000X8000 with about 7 bits per primary. I can see the
|improvement that 70mm brings and I don't even have 20/20 vision.

As I understand it, the resolution delivered by 35mm motion pictures
is nowhere near that of a still image. The registration of the
projector limits the quality. If the projector jitters the same
amount for 35 and 70, then 70 will look sharper because the relative
amount of jitter will be less.

HDTV was supposed to be close to the delivered resolution of 35mm
motion pictures, I believe.

Perhaps dave@imax or poynton@sun would like to comment.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Boycott the census! With the history of abuse census data has,

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (03/21/90)

In article <416@walt.testeng.amdahl.com> dhi00@walt.UUCP (Dario Impini O6-310 x8074) writes:
+maybe i'm white trash, but i cant imagine paying anything extra just to see
+Al Bundy insult Peg in high resolution.  Am i the only one who feels this way?
+My 1957 Admiral black and white tv does more than enough.
+:\
+--

 Dario is right!  Why is  our  government/industry/fellows  spending  these
valuable resources of time & talent on such foolishness? Besides, even given
a really hi-res format standard; WHAT WOULD YOU WATCH? What would the source
be?  Most of the "video-taped-for-Television"  CRAP-Sitcoms  are  done  on
lo-res gear!  Movies, you  say?  At  some  point,  even  105mm  Panavision
formats would be of lower-res than the HDTV screen, so who cares?!
--
-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+
Citicorp(+)TTI                          *----------> panic trap; type = N+1 *