[sci.electronics] Circut needed

mirandor@tree.uucp (W. Le Roy Davis (1-23-90)) (03/19/90)

I am looking for the circut for a very inexpensive three event detector.
I work with the Boy Scouts, and they have this "pine box derby" involving small
(8" long) cars on tracks.  They run three at a time.  I need an easy to main-
tain circut that detects the cars crossing the finish line and determines 1st,
2nd, and 3rd place.  I would like to keep the circutry down to 74xx type chips.
I have had several friends suggest timed circuts, but that is getting too
complex.

E-mail responses would be appreciated as I don't regularly read this column.

                                                              Thanks,
                                                              Le Roy Davis

---  ....----...-.-...---..-----..--..--.-.--...-...-------..-.---..-   - -
---                 +-+              ___      ___              ___      - -
---      ECCE       |-|       |\_|\__\ /|\ |\ \ /    |\_|\_____\ /      ---
- -    TERTIUM       -        |/ |/  _Y_| >| >-+-    |/ |/ __  _Y_      - -
---      QUID       -+-       |\_|\__\ /|/ |/  |     |\_|\_\/__\ /      - -
---                 /|\       |/ |/   Y        |     |/ |/ |    Y       ---
--.----.----.--.----.---..-----.--.-.--.---..--.--..----.-.---.----.----.--

tkopp@carroll1.cc.edu (Tom Kopp) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar19.154615.22362@tree.uucp> mirandor@.PacBell.COM (W. Le Roy Davis (1-23-90)) writes:
>I am looking for the circut for a very inexpensive three event detector.
>I work with the Boy Scouts, and they have this "pine box derby" involving small
>(8" long) cars on tracks.  They run three at a time.  I need an easy to main-
>tain circut that detects the cars crossing the finish line and determines 1st,
>2nd, and 3rd place.  I would like to keep the circutry down to 74xx type chips.
>I have had several friends suggest timed circuts, but that is getting too
>complex.

Well, Just thinking for a few minutes, I have a circuit that you can use
to drive light bulbs (120 VAC) which make it nice and easy or everyone
around to see what order they crossed in.  The numbers below represent
counts of gates, flip-flops, etc - not necessarily #s of chips required.
(i.e. I think OR, AND, etc gates come 4 or 6 to a chip, but I don't
remember off-hand (are they 14 pins?  That would make them quad-2-inputs
which I think are quite comman 74xx chips).  Anyway, for a triple
event detector, my simple sketch requires, approximately the following
numbers (to give you an idea of complexity - keep in mind this is a
rough concept that I'd clean up and run through Logimac (TM) before
submitting to you.)

A 5V power source.  I could probably come up with a power supply if
needed, but 5V ps's are pretty common if you're dealing with 'lectronics
anyway, so I've not included that.

9 LED's (preferably the super-brights, so you can use the 5V rather than
having to cut it back to 2V (though diodes would make that easy, anyway)

9 switching transistors (one for each of the LEDs)

9 Flip-Flops (A Clocked S-R (if such a beast is available) would be
	optimal, but I could work something in if I can't find a part
	number for one)

The reason for 9 of the above is obvious:  1st, 2nd, & 3d place lights, for
	3 tracks...

3 2-input OR gates.
6 2-input AND gates
3 inverters

3 NC momentary contact paddle switches (to be used to detect passage of
	cars)

1 NO momentary contact pushbutton switch - to clear the lights.

*******

If you think this sounds simple enough, let me know and I'll come up
with a schematic for it - at least one that can be breadboarded - I hate
trying to come up with PCboard schematics, so that's up to you if you
want to do it!

--

Thomas J. Kopp - Carroll College, Waukesha, WI
	tkopp@carroll1.cc.edu 	 uunet!marque!carroll1!tkopp

wiml@blake.acs.washington.edu (William Lewis) (03/21/90)

In article <1342@carroll1.cc.edu> tkopp@carroll1.cc.edu (Tom Kopp) writes:
>Well, Just thinking for a few minutes, I have a circuit that you can use

   Hmm, ditto. Gate / chip count follows, assuming you want to use 74xx
chips:

   Per car, 8 NANDs;
   Plus, two three-input NORs (or a pair of ORs and an inverter;
I don't think there's a dual-3-inp-NOR chip in the 74xx family?)
for arbitration.

   Chip count would be a total of six 7400s, a 7404, and a 7432,
ending up with four spare inverters (input buffering? output drivers?).
This includes no real-world interfacing; you'd need (as Mr. Kopp
notes) three switches for the cars and a momentary to clear the
circuit. The output is in the form of a pair of lights per car: two lit
for first place, one for second, none for third. Three more chips
(ANDs, XORs, NORs) gets you a 1-of-3 display for each car. (And
three more wasted gates on those four-gate chips :-( ) And of course,
you'll need to add drivers on those outputs (switching transistors,
SCRs, elves with little flags, whatever ...
  And to use someone else's words in conclusion (ain't F>ollowups
great? :-) ),
>If you think this sounds simple enough, let me know and I'll come up
>with a schematic for it - at least one that can be breadboarded - I hate
>trying to come up with PCboard schematics, so that's up to you if you
>want to do it!
>--
>Thomas J. Kopp - Carroll College, Waukesha, WI
>	tkopp@carroll1.cc.edu 	 uunet!marque!carroll1!tkopp
>"Some people aim to live the longest.  My goal is to live the most." - Me

   Well, I think I'll use my own .signature ...

--
wiml@blake.acs.washington.edu        (206)526-5885      Seattle, Washington