[sci.electronics] Home wiring: Which wire is hot?

mk59200@uikku.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (04/06/90)

In article <13193@thorin.cs.unc.edu> tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) writes:
>Is your "new" color scheme why many equipment power cords have
>brown/blue/green-yellow color coding?  Where else is it used?  I see this
>most often inside detachable cords when I cut the female end off to
>hardwire it.

The brown/blue/green-yellow scheme is used here in Finland,
and I assume it's also used in other European countries.
The electical outlets and plugs used here are unpolarized,
i.e. you don't have any way of knowing which pin is 'live'
and which is 'neutral' (except by using some measuring instrument).

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi