[sci.electronics] Crystals

georgep@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (George Pell) (05/07/89)

In article <1357@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
> (stuff about crystal radios)
>
>Also sometimes a crystal of galena (lead sulfide?).
>
>I remember reading in a really OLD book of kid's science projects about
                                ^^^
>how you could use a rusty disposable razor blade and a bent safety pin
>as a detector...

(I'm not OLD, you must just be YOUNG)

The disposable razor must be a 'blue blade'.  I built one of these
when I was a kid.  The platinum type won't work.

Does anyone know of a source for galena crystals?  A person I
bumped into at a book store was looking for one, and I called
around.  Seems that the last source known to Portland Radio
has stopped making them.

Am I the owner of the last galena crystal on earth??

geo
(only 40 and counting)

rzh@lll-lcc.UUCP (Roger Hanscom) (05/08/89)

In <3569@vice.ICO.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:
   [edited for brevity]
>Does anyone know of a source for galena crystals?  A person I
>bumped into at a book store was looking for one, and I called
>around.  Seems that the last source known to Portland Radio
>has stopped making them.

>Am I the owner of the last galena crystal on earth??

>geo
>(only 40 and counting)

I doubt it!!  One can find galena by the ton, unless something is
done to it to alter it from its natural state to that of a
"semiconductor".  Try a store that deals in minerals or "nature".

        roger         rzh%freedom.llnl.gov@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
                      ucbvax!lll-lcc!freedom!rzh
    Upstairs, Over a Vacant Lot, Inc.

johne@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (John Eaton) (05/11/89)

<<<<
<
<   Try a store that deals in minerals or "nature".
----------
Better yet try a "New Age" Crystal shop. Tell them that you are
building a "Channeling" receiver to listen to the voices from
the past. After you build your radio you can then demonstrate
it and the next thing you know you will be on the talk show
circuit with Shirley Maclaine. Beats working for a living.

John Eaton
!hpvcfs1!johne

rs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Robert E. Seastrom) (05/23/89)

In article <3569@vice.ICO.TEK.COM> georgep@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (George Pell) writes:

>Does anyone know of a source for galena crystals?  A person I
>bumped into at a book store was looking for one, and I called
>around.  Seems that the last source known to Portland Radio
>has stopped making them.
>
>Am I the owner of the last galena crystal on earth??

Try Modern Radio Labs in Garden Grove, California.  I don't know
if they are still around (haven't done any business with them
since 1982), but give them a shot.  They have all sorts of crystal
set, 1-tube, and all sorts of other kinds of stuff.

                               ---Rob

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (05/24/89)

Try a rock shop. (The kind of place where you find geodes and tumbling
supplies.)

UUCP@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (UUCP) (04/09/90)

From: RLG109@psuvm.psu.edu

]CUl^;sr8
Newsgroups: sci.electronics

I'm looking for a 640kHz crystal to use as a resonator for an IC. Does anybody
have an idea where to get one?  Local stores don't have anything near it, and
Jameco doesn't carry one either.  I haven't checked Digi-Key yet, though.  If
anybody knows where I can get one _fast_ (the project is due in 3 weeks) I'd
appreciate their help.
                   Thanks!
                          -Ron Grassel

--