[sci.electronics] PC speaker to stereo

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (04/11/90)

Well, Heath Roberts suggested I have the leads that were going to my
stereo go to one side of an audio transformer, and then take the other
side and attach that to my stereo.

Result: massive improvement in sound quality

Problem: I still get a high whine (mostly >2KHz) even when the speaker isn't
doing anything.  I figured it was probably RF interference from the monitor
cable, since the whine changed timbre (sound, but not pitch) when my
display changed (when a directory listing popped up or whatever).  So I
wrapped (separately) my entire circuit and the entire monitor cable in
aluminum foil and grounded them to the chassis.

But the whine remained.  In fact, it remained even when I unplugged the
monitor cable from the computer and turned off the monitor!  The whine also
still changed sound when I updated the display.  So I figure it's the card
which is putting out nasty RF somewhere inside the computer.

How do I fix this?  I'm a little nervous about waving aluminum foil near my
computer's chips (crack!  Oh, good, the noise went away.  Oh.  Oh.  Oh.)
Would wrapping the cord around an RF choke help?

(BTW, the card is a Paradise Pro 16-bit SVGA)

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

gpz@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (G. Paul Ziemba) (04/11/90)

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) writes:

[...]

>Problem: I still get a high whine (mostly >2KHz) even when the speaker isn't
>doing anything.

[...]

>How do I fix this?

I'll bet that the speaker is driven by the output of some
TTL chip (maybe via a capacitor to block the DC component).
If this is not the case (i.e., there is some special
non-digital oscillator making the beep), the following
explanation is not correct and I'd be very surprised :-) :-)

In the real world, digital logic devices are actually analog
circuits that generate variable output voltages even when
they are generating a constant "logic level". That is, even
if a gate is putting out logic "1", its output voltage may
vary + or - depending on variations in the power supply
voltage, the voltage at other gate inputs on the same chip,
and the load on any of the chip outputs.

In your PC, the load current on the power supply is a very
complex function with high frequency components. The
variations are caused by chip enables/disables, memory
accesses, etc. These load changes translate into variations
in the power supply voltage at your speaker driver chip (not
to mention everywhere else in the computer) and show up as
noise on the output.

In general, the variations in output voltage are small, so
that digital inputs in the computer ignore them. However,
your setup involves a linear (we hope) amplifier and your
(relatively sensitive) ears, so the noise becomes
noticeable.

To remove the noise, you need to remove the small amplitude
variations but preserve the basic square wave. This process
is called "limiting", and is used in FM receivers to remove
amplitude variations in radio signals.  A limiter is just a
very high-gain amplifier that gets driven far into
saturation by its input signal. It is usually followed by a
filter to remove higher frequencies so that the output is
close to a sine wave, but in your case that's probably not
needed. You might try:

1. A TTL or CMOS buffer (inverting or non-inverting) with a power
   supply separate from the computer's.

2. An op-amp operating open-loop as a comparator with a reference
   voltage between Voh and Vol (again, with a separate power supply).

Of course, these should be inserted _before_ any series
capacitor at the output of the speaker driver in your PC.

Hope this helps,

 ~!paul
--
Paul Ziemba     zapi!gpz   gpz@3com.com   (415)940-7671

Current nemesis: CA "winters", cold enough to drive the ants indoors but
		 not cold enough to make them hibernate.

elliott@optilink.UUCP (Paul Elliott x225) (04/11/90)

In article <6062@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) writes:
> Well, Heath Roberts suggested I have the leads that were going to my
> stereo go to one side of an audio transformer, and then take the other
> side and attach that to my stereo.
>
> Result: massive improvement in sound quality
>
> Problem: I still get a high whine (mostly >2KHz) even when the speaker isn't
> doing anything.  I figured it was probably RF interference from the monitor

The whine is probably due to the switching power-supply in the PC.  There is
a significant amount of ripple in the +5V supply, and it will show up on the
speaker output (translation of 'significant' = 'I don't know how much').

Here are some things to try:

*   Connect the transformer inputs closer to the timer chip to reduce
    ground-loop problems (the ripple current causes a voltage difference
    between different ground points).

*   Instead of connecting the 'common' input of the transformer to ground,
    try connecting it to +5V (at the timer chip).  This might improve things,
    depending on the idle output state of the chip.  Use a seperate
    coupling capacitor so you don't connect +5V to the speaker via the
    transformer winding.  This one is a long-shot, but it might help.

*   If you don't need high-freq response, consider an R-C filter between
    the speaker connection and the transformer.

*   It is possible that the transformer itself is picking up the magnetic
    fields generated by the PC switching power-supply.  Re-orienting the
    transformer might help.  Electrostatic coupling is less likely, but
    grounding the transformer frame might help (where to ground it?).

*   For $799.95 I can sell you a whiz-bang DSP card that will filter out
    the noise.  Such a deal! ;-)

--
      Paul M. Elliott      Optilink Corporation     (707) 795-9444
            {uunet, pyramid, pixar, tekbspa}!optilink!elliott