[sci.electronics] IR remote controls

joe@mojave.UUCP (Joe Talbot) (01/20/89)

I'm working on a project involving DAT machines (which are wonderful)
that requires control of the machines by a computer (for broadcast
automation). The only control external to the machine is an IR handheld
control. I need to emulate the signal that unit creates and interface
it to my project.

I opened the unit and found an NEC controller IC and called NEC who
sent me the data sheets. I was disapointed to find that it was a
microcontroller with on-board screened ROM full of sony code to make it
run.

I have to beleive that there are dumb chips out there that could do
the same thing, or perhaps some alternative. It would be useful to
control many "consumer" products that use infra-red remotes.

I'm having difficulty finding where to get started. If any of you know
of any app-notes or primers on this type of thing, please let me know.

Joe Talbot        apple!zygot!mojave!joe
--

joe@mojave
"I really hate my dumb job."

bill@videovax.tv.Tek.com (William K. McFadden) (01/25/89)

In article <141@mojave.UUCP> joe@mojave.UUCP (Joe Talbot) writes:
>I'm working on a project involving DAT machines (which are wonderful)
>that requires control of the machines by a computer (for broadcast
>automation). The only control external to the machine is an IR handheld
>control. I need to emulate the signal that unit creates and interface
>it to my project.

You could always get one of those universal remote controls and teach it the
codes you need.  Then wire your control circuit to the remote.  Radio Shack
sells a cheap one for $50.  Or you could do what I did: wire a relay across
the switch contacts in the player.  It's really cheap and it works.  I use this
to start CD players from my board.  Good luck!
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: bill@videovax.Tek.COM,  {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

joe@mojave.UUCP (Joe Talbot) (01/26/89)

I'm looking for a "non-hacked" solution on my DAT project. I appreciate your
interfaced to the outside world. I couldn't ever make very many of these
and am VERY embarrassed when somebody into electronics sees this.

There MUST be a real solution. Nobody knows of any chipsets or articles on IR
remote controls?
--

commgrp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (01/27/89)

>I'm looking for a "non-hacked" solution on my DAT project. I
>appreciate your responses to my question. My current version is,
>as you suggest, a remote interfaced to the outside world. I
>couldn't ever make very many of these...
>--
>joe@mojave

(e-mail wouldn't go)
Radio Shack sells an IR remote control that can "clone" several such
devices so that if you have multiple IR-controlled devices, you only
need one "God stick."  I think it is programmed directly by the other
controllers via its own IR receiver.

Byte magazine published details of a similar device a few years
ago in "Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar."  Can't provide exact reference.

--

Frank
reid@gold.bacs.indiana.edu

kevinro@microsoft.UUCP (Kevin Ross) (01/28/89)

This months issue (Feb 1989) of Modern Electronics has an article about
the Sharp GP1U52X IR module. Might be worth looking at.

munir@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Munir Mallal) (01/29/89)

/ hpfcmr:sci.electronics / bill@videovax.tv.Tek.com (William K. McFadden) /  6:00 pm  Jan 24, 1989 /
In article <141@mojave.UUCP> joe@mojave.UUCP (Joe Talbot) writes:
>I'm working on a project involving DAT machines (which are wonderful)
>that requires control of the machines by a computer (for broadcast
>automation). The only control external to the machine is an IR handheld
>control. I need to emulate the signal that unit creates and interface
>it to my project.
 There was an article in Byte some time back describing just this, written
 by Steve Ciarcia.  Look in the back issues of look for his book which is
 a collection of his articles.

 Also, he has since left Byte and is now publishing Circuit Celler Ink.

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/03/89)

>>I'm working on a project involving DAT machines (which are wonderful)
>>that requires control of the machines by a computer (for broadcast
>>automation). The only control external to the machine is an IR handheld
>>control. I need to emulate the signal that unit creates and interface

What we really need is a IR control with a serial port (instead of buttons)
for input.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			mailrus!b-tech!zeeff

rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Ellis) (04/07/90)

That will only work if the remote uses somewhere near 40kHz for it's carrier
frequency.  (It's also dependent on how picky the receiver is.)

--
Rick Ellis
...!{dhw68k,zardoz,lawnet,conexch}!ofa123!rick                             rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG

mjw06513@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mary Winters) (04/09/90)

In article <102.261CF0A4@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG> rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Ellis) writes:

>That will only work if the remote uses somewhere near 40kHz for it's carrier
>frequency.  (It's also dependent on how picky the receiver is.)

I've been experimenting with IR control of VCRs, and the Radio Shack IR detector
module in particular. The detector module is made by Sharp, so it's fairly
safe to assume that at least some Sharp products use 40kHz. The detector also
properly decodes signals from my Sony and JVC remotes. Also, according to
Steve Ciarcia in a Circuit Cellar article, most IR remotes have carrier
frequencies between 32 and 48kHz, and he presents a circuit which will detect
across that range. In my experiments with my Sony deck, the detection circuitry
appears to have a fairly high tolerance (around 10%). I suspect most decks
have fairly wide tolerances to accomodate for poor aim, weak batteries, and
other adverse working conditions in the home environment. For a few $ in parts
from the Shack, you can find out if your remote uses a 40kHz carrier (and it's
a lot of fun finding out).

--
uv@f69.n233.z1.fidonet.org
Suffering from PMS (Presentation Manager Syndrome)

ssy@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (04/09/90)

In article <102.261CF0A4@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG> rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Ellis) writes:

>That will only work if the remote uses somewhere near 40kHz for it's carrier
>frequency.  (It's also dependent on how picky the receiver is.)

Very true.  Fortunately all the remotes I've tested do.  I think that this is
fairly universal.

--kyler

mjw06513@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mary Winters) (04/10/90)

>>That will only work if the remote uses somewhere near 40kHz for it's carrier
>>frequency.
>
>Very true.  Fortunately all the remotes I've tested do.  I think that this is
>fairly universal.

Now, the obvious followup question: How do I construct a simple 40kHz IR LED
flasher which I can turn on and off with a TTL signal (such as a parallel
output line from a computer)? Yes, I admit it, I'm a total novice WRT the
hardware aspects of electronics. If someone has a schematic for a working
carrier generator of this sort, I'd be very appreciative if you could send it
to me (in what format to send it is another good question, but I'll save that
one for later (-:)

Thanks!

-Yet Another Hardware Hacker WannaBe.

--

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (04/11/90)

Now, the obvious followup question: How do I construct a simple 40kHz IR LED
flasher which I can turn on and off with a TTL signal (such as a parallel
output line from a computer)? Yes, I admit it, I'm a total novice WRT the

-Yet Another Hardware Hacker WannaBe.

----------
Well, if you know of a sci.electronics archive, you can look for: "powering
50ma LED from TTL logic?" which is the notes string that I started to ask
the same thing. As I noted in the basenote, the ugly way is to find a
digital device that sinks enough current, and use it. The AS640 worked
for me: it sinks 64ma, and inverts, so that high=on: TTL can sink 'lots'
of current, but not source it. This means that you have to hook up the
LED 'backwards' in that when the output is high, the LED is off.
Since the inverter output is high when the input is low, it works out
that low = LED off.

             diode   resistor    ground
+----+
|    |        | /|
|'640|o-------|< |---/\/\/\/\/\---+
|    |        | \|                |
+----+                          -----
                                 ---
                                  -
Of course, this is really gross, and the transistor methods in the
response are much more elegant, but it worked for the prototype.

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (04/12/90)

>             diode   resistor    ground
>+----+
>|    |        | /|
>|'640|o-------|< |---/\/\/\/\/\---+
>|    |        | \|                |
>+----+                          -----
>                                 ---
>                                  -
>Of course, this is really gross...

=======================================

Yeah, EXTREMELY GROSS, since it is wrong. (Thanks Neal, for pointing
this out--and without flaming, too!). Let's try:

             diode   resistor    VCC (+5v)
+----+

This is STILL really gross, but it should at least work...

BLUSH!

--Doug "Free advice is worth every penny you pay" Claar