[sci.electronics] What's in a Line Test Set?

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (04/10/90)

Hello everyone, the equipment budget for the department I work in has
been slashed to zero, and our line test set got stolen recently.
I've been wondering if anyone knows what justifies the $200-300
cost of such a beast.  Is it because it is a speciality market,
or are there components in there that are really worth a couple
hundred dollars?  I've added up the cost of the obvious components
(headset, tone pad, aligator clips, batteries, isolation transformer)
and arrive at about $50.  The only thing I don't know about is the
monitor option, which is what I use most to debug the modems.  What
makes up this circuit?

One final thing, does anyone know if I can use the telephone
isolation transformer on an old 300 baud modem to shave a couple
dollars?  We've got some 300 baud modems around collecting dust.

bies@sctc.com (Marty Bies) (04/10/90)

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:

>Hello everyone, the equipment budget for the department I work in has
>been slashed to zero, and our line test set got stolen recently.
>I've been wondering if anyone knows what justifies the $200-300
>cost of such a beast.  Is it because it is a speciality market,
>or are there components in there that are really worth a couple
>hundred dollars?  I've added up the cost of the obvious components
>(headset, tone pad, aligator clips, batteries, isolation transformer)
>and arrive at about $50.  The only thing I don't know about is the
>monitor option, which is what I use most to debug the modems.  What
>makes up this circuit?

Considering that you have $50 in parts.  I would think that the time
it would take to build and debug the whole thing and make it reasonable
to use would far exceed the $200 cost of a new test set.

But then,  my budget is like a bottom-less pit :)

--Marty B
bies@sctc.com

In article <1723@argus.UUCP>, ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
> Hello everyone, the equipment budget for the department I work in has
> been slashed to zero, and our line test set got stolen recently.
> I've been wondering if anyone knows what justifies the $200-300
> cost of such a beast.  Is it because it is a speciality market,
> or are there components in there that are really worth a couple
> hundred dollars?

	There is nothing sophisticated or expensive in a telephone
test set; the price is based upon the device being a "specialty item"
in a marketplace generally *willing* to pay.

> I've added up the cost of the obvious components
> (headset, tone pad, aligator clips, batteries, isolation transformer)
> and arrive at about $50.

	Ain't no batteries in a conventional telephone test set.  From
a circuit standpoint it is nothing more than a regular telephone with
(today) switchable tone-pulse dial and a monitor-talk switch.  In the
monitor position, the set is little more than the receiver element
in series with say, a .1 to .22 uF capacitor.  Some sets have a polarity
indicator - big deal, an LED along with one or two resistors, and
possibly a zener diode.

> The only thing I don't know about is the
> monitor option, which is what I use most to debug the modems.  What
> makes up this circuit?

	Traditionally, nothing more than a receiver element in series
with a capacitor.  A better approach for data work is to use a higher
impedance connection made by an externally-powered amplifier bridging
to say, a 100,000 impedance.  However, only one or two handheld
telephone line test sets have such a battery-powered amplifier.

> One final thing, does anyone know if I can use the telephone
> isolation transformer on an old 300 baud modem to shave a couple
> dollars?  We've got some 300 baud modems around collecting dust.

	You don't need an isolation transformer for this application.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP {boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
<> TEL  716/688-1231 || 716/773-1700       {utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX  716/741-9635 || 716/773-2488        "Have you hugged your cat today?"

root@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (04/12/90)

In article <1990Apr10.142252.21706@sctc.com>, bies@sctc.com (Marty Bies) writes:
: Considering that you have $50 in parts.  I would think that the time
: it would take to build and debug the whole thing and make it reasonable
: to use would far exceed the $200 cost of a new test set.

That might be if I were to purchase the components new.   However, a fair
amount of the materials can be scravanged from old projects here.  Furthermore,
I don't need components like the keypad because all I do is monitor the
presense/absence of modem signals.  Lastly, I've always wanted to find out
how these beasts work.

: But then,  my budget is like a bottom-less pit :)

Let's put it this way, I can't even purchase rj11 connectors.