[sci.electronics] Can answering machine record outgoing calls?

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (04/03/90)

In article <3963@sage.cc.purdue.edu>, ssy@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
> In article <1329@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> snozer@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Dan Jasper Jalkut) writes:

[ deleted ]

> What's illegal?  Recording SPEECH.  If you just want to know what numbers are
> being dialed, no problem, right?  I've hooked a simple (Radio Shack) DTMF
> decoder to the line and a 6811.  This allowed me to decode some numbers I'd put
> in the autodial of my answering machine, but hadn't written down.  You want
> essentially the same thing it seems.

Hmm.  I get a phone bill every month; I'd imagine that if my friend were
making overseas phone calls, those numbers would SURELY show up on my bill...

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |  "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

rhaar@rcsac1.UUCP (Bob Haar CS50) (04/07/90)

In article <5338@mmsac.UUCP> jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) writes:
>>If you just want to know what numbers are being dialed, no problem,
>>right?  I've hooked a simple (Radio Shack) DTMF decoder to the line
>>and a 6811.  This allowed me to decode some numbers I'd put in the
>
>What is a "6811"?  I haven't heard of that one.

probably a Motorola 68HC11 - a 8-bit microcontroller based on the
6800 microprocessor. go choice for embedded control applications.

	- Bob Haar
	  GM Research Labs

dave@stcns3.stc.oz.AU (Dave Horsfall) (04/12/90)

| Discontinue long distance service on your home phone and get a 'calling
| card' or other long distance charge number and use that.

And other USA-only solutions.  Didn't anyone notice this guy's in
Australia?  (Hi Karl!)

Best thing to do Karl is to get Telecom to block ISD calls for a while.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU)  Alcatel STC Australia  dave@stcns3.stc.oz.AU
dave%stcns3.stc.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET  ...munnari!stcns3.stc.oz.AU!dave