[sci.electronics] A 74F74?

pa2384@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. Clark) (04/07/90)

Hi all!

	Can someone tell me if a 74F74 is just a 74H74 in disguise?
I've never seen 'F TTL before.  Is this Fairchild's high-speed TTL?
What does the F stand for 'fast' or fairchild ;-)!

			Thanks,

			Gary M Clark
			pa2384@ucsd.edu

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (04/07/90)

In article <9561@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa2384@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. Clark) writes:

>	Can someone tell me if a 74F74 is just a 74H74 in disguise?
>I've never seen 'F TTL before.  Is this Fairchild's high-speed TTL?
>What does the F stand for 'fast' or fairchild ;-)!

"FAST" == Fairchild's Advanced Schottky Technology.  It's a completely
new circuit family and a new more advanced semiconductor fabrication
process.  The circuit family uses a different internal arrangement of
transistors, diodes, resistors, and capacitors than the other TTL-like
families.  It isn't 74H or 74S or 74AS or 74ALS.  It's 74F.

Curious that you should mention 74H.  It was the speediest TTL for
only a very brief period.  74H used high currents and gold-doped
junctions for high speed, but the 74S family quickly appeared and
wiped 74H practically off the face of the earth.   74S is faster and
lower power than 74H.  And now 74F is faster still.  Life marches on.
A few parts from TI are even faster than 74F, but TI will gladly sell
you 74F as well; it's a "standard" you know.

Get a FAST databook from Signetics and read the intro chapters on
the circuit family.  Then post to the net an explanation of the
"Miller killer" (not making this up, honest) circuit within the gate
that makes 74F so doggone fast.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

In article <37746@mips.mips.COM> mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) writes:
>wiped 74H practically off the face of the earth.   74S is faster and
>lower power than 74H.  And now 74F is faster still.  Life marches on.

Actually, 74F is a Really Nice family.  Not only is it fast as blazes, it
tends to eat a lot less power than 74S, and is better-behaved in all kinds
of little ways.

Not least of its virtues is that since it came from Fairchild, it has
truly exemplary datasheets, which pin down both minimum and maximum times
and do so over the full temperature and voltage range, unlike most TTL
datasheets.  I assume this was a general Fairchild characteristic, since
the F100K ECL datasheets likewise made 10K datasheets look like toilet
paper by comparison.

And now they're part of National.  Sigh.
--
Apollo @ 8yrs: one small step.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Space station @ 8yrs:        .| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (04/08/90)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Actually, 74F is a Really Nice family.  Not only is it fast as blazes, it
>tends to eat a lot less power than 74S, and is better-behaved in all kinds
>of little ways.

I use 74F parts here at Network almost exclusively for my logic needs.  It
has the good gate propagations speeds (6ns worst for simple gates and 10ns
clock to Q delays on most registers.)  You can run into problems at these
speeds due to the need to account for speed of light delays in connecting
foils between IC's.  We don't use a lot of line termination, but I have
seen enough cases where it is sometimes advisable (hint, if the line is
long and/or the frequency/pulse is high/fast.)  You get signal reflection
in all unterminated lines, but at high speeds there may not be enough time
in your design to let it settle out.  And our designs are always pushing
the edge.

The new kid on the block is 74FCT and 74FC (F.A.C.T.) which are almost as
fast as 74F, but are really CMOS based familes (with 74FCT being voltage
level compatible with TTL.)  Naturally their power requirements are less
still than 74F.

>Not least of its virtues is that since it came from Fairchild, it has
>truly exemplary datasheets, which pin down both minimum and maximum times
>and do so over the full temperature and voltage range, unlike most TTL
>datasheets.

Knowing minimum times becomes essential at high speeds due to the fact that
your clock skew between parts, say one register feeding another, may start
to exceed your minimum propogation time -- thus you could "short-path".
I.E. your data could arrive at the inputs to the next stage before that
stage saw it's clock.  When the clock does arrive, it will clock thru the
new data, rather than the "previous" data.  In effect, you will have your
data getting through two stages of registers in ONE clock time.  Very
bad if you aren't expecting it!!!

Of course, you can design around this problem with careful matching of
clock foil lengths, and other clock distribution techniques, but even then,
your clock fanout parts may have part-to-part speed variations that begin
to exceed your minimum times.  (I hate parts that spec ZERO as minimum
times.  You know they are lying because they don't want to have to control
the minimum time.  Fortunately, most such parts are inbetween parts with
spec'd minimums.  But processors always give me grief.  I know that I am
actually designing things that violate the theoretical spec/skew problem,
but I know that there are no such beasties as ZERO delay parts -- YET.)

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853

peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) (04/08/90)

In article <1990Apr8.000826.16803@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

> Not least of its virtues is that since it came from Fairchild, it has
> truly exemplary datasheets, which pin down both minimum and maximum times
> and do so over the full temperature and voltage range, unlike most TTL
> datasheets.  I assume this was a general Fairchild characteristic, since
> the F100K ECL datasheets likewise made 10K datasheets look like toilet
> paper by comparison.

Could you post Fairchild's address?  I'd like to get a 74F databook
(the Amiga uses a good bit of it).

Thanks!

Paul

In article <1990Apr8.061809.6501@ns.network.com> logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) writes:
>... (I hate parts that spec ZERO as minimum
>times.  You know they are lying because they don't want to have to control
>the minimum time...

I could live with this in logic (which probably just means that I'm not
pushing the logic very hard...) but I really hate it when EPROMs specify
zero data hold time after input changes.  It makes it quite impossible to
do simple interfaces to micros without violating the theoretical rules.
At least the RAM manufacturers don't pull this vile trick.
--

dalyb@godzilla.UUCP (Brian Daly) (04/09/90)

In article <9561@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, pa2384@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (G. Clark) writes:
> 	Can someone tell me if a 74F74 is just a 74H74 in disguise?
> I've never seen 'F TTL before.  Is this Fairchild's high-speed TTL?
> What does the F stand for 'fast' or fairchild ;-)!

The 74F logic family is the "FAST" logic family. This logic family is not
restricted to Fairchild (for example, TI also has an "F" family). The 74F74
is not a 74H74 in disguise. I'd recommend that you obtain an F Logic Databook
from TI for further information.

--
Brian K. Daly WB7OML @ AG Communication Systems, Phoenix, Arizona
UUCP: {...!ames!ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!dalyb

In article <103119@psuecl.bitnet> peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) writes:
>Could you post Fairchild's address?  I'd like to get a 74F databook...

Alas!  They were bought by National.  The good die young...
--

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr8.061809.6501@ns.network.com> logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) writes:
|We don't use a lot of line termination, but I have
|seen enough cases where it is sometimes advisable (hint, if the line is
|The new kid on the block is 74FCT and 74FC (F.A.C.T.) which are almost as
|fast as 74F, but are really CMOS based familes (with 74FCT being voltage
|level compatible with TTL.)  Naturally their power requirements are less
|still than 74F.

I haven't used 74FC but I have used 74AC parts and in my experience,
the 74AC parts are much worse than any other TTL compatible parts,
including the F series, in requiring line termination.

Are FC parts better? What is the difference between FC and AC?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
The War on Drugs is the modern day Inquisition.

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (04/10/90)

henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <103119@psuecl.bitnet> peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) writes:
>>Could you post Fairchild's address?  I'd like to get a 74F databook...
>
>Alas!  They were bought by National.  The good die young...

I think Fairchild still exists as "department" of National.  They didn' t
just buy Fairchild to chuck it in the dustbin.  They are clearing out
redundant product lines, but they aren't necessarily just dumping the
Fairchild versions.

--
- John Logajan @ Network Systems; 7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853

clm@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Christopher Lee McGugan) (04/10/90)

Hey... all you need to do is to check your local phone directory for a listing of National Semiconductor and call them.  They stock those sort of books.  Also, do you really need the Fairchild databook, the 74F74 is in the TI and the Natioanl Semiconductor databooks.  I think that I have the last year issues of the Fairchild series if you need it.

-chris

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (04/11/90)

phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I haven't used 74FC but I have used 74AC parts and in my experience,
>the 74AC parts are much worse than any other TTL compatible parts,
>including the F series, in requiring line termination.
>
>Are FC parts better? What is the difference between FC and AC?

The FC parts are different from the AC parts in that there is no such
thing as FC parts :-)   SORRY, I meant to say AC and ACT parts are the
designations for F.A.C.T. (Fairchild Advanced CMOS Technology.)

ACT parts have TTL compatible input circuits, whereas AC parts need CMOS
levels.  Both ACT and AC outputs swing the full CMOS range, which certainly
would seem to imply a greater need for termination in high speed use.

AC/ACT parts run with supply voltages from 2 to 6 volts, use 1/10th of
the power of FAST or ALS, and 1/20th the power of LS (under 1 Mhz.)
AC/ACT also has good noise immunity 1.25v/1.25v and can source or sink
24 ma.

Maximun propagation delay  FAST vs FACT  (ACT.  AC's are slightly slower.)

74F374 (8 bit F/F) vs 74ACT374
 10ns                   11.5ns

74F00 (nand) vs 74ACT00
 6ns              9.5ns

FACT parts sure look good on paper.

--

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (04/11/90)

Henry Spencer writes (concerning Fairchild):

>Alas!  They were bought by National.  The good die young...
                                                    ?????

How long has Fairchild been in the semiconductor business, compared to
National?  Weren't they one of the first companies in the field?

Isaac
isw@cup.portal.com

In article <28794@cup.portal.com> ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) writes:
>>Alas!  They were bought by National.  The good die young...
>                                                    ?????
>
>How long has Fairchild been in the semiconductor business, compared to
>National?  Weren't they one of the first companies in the field?

Hey, it's a young field...  :-)
--
With features like this,      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
who needs bugs?               | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ISW@cup.portal.com (Isaac S Wingfield) (04/12/90)

John Logajan writes:

>ACT parts have TTL compatible input circuits, whereas AC parts need CMOS
>levels.  Both ACT and AC outputs swing the full CMOS range, which certainly
>would seem to imply a greater need for termination in high speed use.

I believe that edge rate (transition time) is a more significant indicator of
the need for termination (and also how much noise radiation is likely) than
voltage swing per se. As edge rate goes up, more and more energy shows up at
higher frequencies; at higher frequencies, shorter and shorter traces begin to
exhibit the transmission line effects that make termination necessary.

For equal propagation delays (and therefore equal system speeds), different
logic families have different edge rates, and so some will require
terminations, and similarly will be much noisier, while others will not.
Sorry, but I've been out of hard-nosed design for a while, and can't comment
on which of the current families are which...

Isaac
isw@cup.portal.com