[sci.electronics] Reed Solomon Decoders

mike@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Mike Tankenson) (04/12/90)

Excuse me if this is not the correct newsgroup.

Does anybody out there have any information on Reed Solomon Decoders being
done in software (or perhaps in a standard workstation with a hardware
accelerator)?

Currently at JPL we are using some home brew RS devices, with non-standard
interfaces, and would like to phase them out.  We're looking to replace them
with software RS decoders (if possible).  With today's increase in
workstation compute power, we think it should be possible to perform RS
without custom hardware.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

hbg6@citek.UUCP (John Schuch) (04/12/90)

In article <7740@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> mike@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Mike Tankenson) writes:
>Does anybody out there have any information on Reed Solomon Decoders being

Excuse my ignorance but:

What, pray tell, is a reed solomon decoder?

John

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (04/13/90)

LSI Logic has just announced a Reed-Solomon encoder/decoder chip.
Their phone number is 408 433 8000.

bryant@oakhill.UUCP (Bryant Wilder) (04/13/90)

In article <7740@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, mike@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Mike Tankenson) writes:
> Does anybody out there have any information on Reed Solomon Decoders being
> done in software (or perhaps in a standard workstation with a hardware
> accelerator)?

you can get it free from Motorola's DSP56000 bulletin board,
Dr. BuB, by calling (512) 891-3771.  the reed-solomon decoder
is there in DSP56001 assembly language (it is commented),
and i believe the encoder is there too (i'm not sure about the encoder).

bryant wilder