[sci.electronics] low-level signals and long cables

rsl09@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/12/90)

I have an application that requires sending low level signal (in mv range)
down a  long cable (about 50 meters). The signal is bandlimited to about
13 KHz. To avoid potential interference, I thought it would better
to  digitize the signal and send digital signal, rather than
analog, down the cable.

I was wondering if there is a product on the market that can
digitize an analog signal, transmit  down a long cable, and
receive the digital signal at the other end of the cable.

Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Vahid Hesany
Graduate Research Assistant
University of Kansas

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) (04/12/90)

In article <22845.2623bae8@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> rsl09@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>I have an application that requires sending low level signal (in mv range)
>down a  long cable (about 50 meters). The signal is bandlimited to about
>13 KHz. To avoid potential interference, I thought it would better
>to  digitize the signal and send digital signal, rather than
>analog, down the cable.
>
>I was wondering if there is a product on the market that can
>digitize an analog signal, transmit  down a long cable, and
>receive the digital signal at the other end of the cable.
>
>Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

	Why not use shielded cable ? Your frequency is so low that you wont
	even need to terminate it for a 50m run. The only potential problem
	would be a *slight* attenuation due to lossy media, but I'm pretty
	sure that the loss of, say, RG58 or RG59 at 13Khz is zippo for 50m.
	You will, of course, want to avoid ground loops. Make sure that the
	coaxial shield is the ONLY ground path between the transmitter and
	the receiver - Never, never, NEVER connect your power supply ground
	to 'earth' in more than one location.

	I had ground loops in my homebrew system; it caused SEVERE RFI
	interference for about 1/2 block. Took out the ground loops, and
	there was NO detectable interference.

mikem@col.hp.com (Mike McTigue) (04/13/90)

This may not be what you want but you could consider using a balanced coax
system simular to the cables low impedence microphones use. A differential
driver and reciever at the sending and recieving ends would eliminate
interference easily to the BW you indicated.

whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (04/13/90)

In article <22845.2623bae8@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> rsl09@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>I have an application that requires sending low level signal (in mv range)
>down a  long cable (about 50 meters). The signal is bandlimited to about
>13 KHz. To avoid potential interference, I thought it would better
>to  digitize the signal ...

	You do not mention the impedance of your signal source; this
is VITALLY important to determine what, if any, interference you are
protecting against.
	Digitization is certainly not appropriate (unless you have
a large budget, or noisy wiring that you wish to use rather than
making a new wire path).

	A simpler method: amplify the signal at one end, with
a high-output-impedance amplifier (i.e. make a current source), and
detect at the receive end with an appropriate resistor.  There is
a popular industrial standard, the "4-20mA transmitter", using this
trick.  It usually works well with low frequency signals.

	Or amplify to get a higher voltage signal, which you
attenuate at the receive end.  Or use a transformer at one end
(or both) to break up the "ground loop".  It may suffice to use
coaxial cable, or you may wish to use twisted pair (the second
wire becomes the "sensitive ground" connection for the remote box),
or (in extreme cases) you may use two coaxial cables, one for the
signal, one for the ground reference.
	The mere presence of digital circuitry in a box practically
guarantees that that box cannot maintain low noise for a small
signal, if only due to modulation of the power supply with the
digital clocking noise.  Avoiding switching circuitry and shielding
the cable can easily keep your 13 mV signal intact.

I am known for my brilliance,                  John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.

sukenick@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (SYG) (04/14/90)

Tri-axial connections and cable are supposed to be best for preventing noise.
One lead is for the signal, the other wire is for the ground, and the shield
doesnt carry current and is connected at one end only to either ground or a low
impedance potential close to the potential on the signal wire ("guard").  If you
really want to get fancy, there is dual shielded cable in which you can use the
inner shield as a guard and the outer as a ground shield.

Now the question I have is:  Is there a perfered method of connecting
the shield (ie: connect at signal out end or at signal in?)