[sci.electronics] Urban Myths again

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) (04/06/90)

jlg@lambda.UUCP (Jim Giles) writes:

>In article <1990Apr4.174234.24288@tc.fluke.COM> inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson) writes:
>>
>>    It costs more to turn lights off and on than to leave them turned on
>>    (regardless of the ratio of on to off time).

>This is true for florescent lights.  It requires an average of several
>minutes worth of electricity to 'power-up' a florescent light.  So, if
>you're not planning to leave it off for a larger time that that, leave
>it on.  Incandescent bulbs should be turned off when they're not in use
>no matter how short the interval till the are needed next.

Actually no.  This issue came up a few months ago and when the disucssion
reached mythalogical proportions, I decided to make some measurements
using a laboratory precision watt-hour meter.  I measured the total
power consumed from the instant of power application to the instant the
bulb reaches full intensity and calculated a smoothed rate.  I then
compared that  rate to the steady state consumption rate.

I measured what was available in my lab which included a 20 watt old-style
starter lamp, a dual tube 40 watt shop lite and a dual tube 100 watt
industrial fixture.  The latter 2 are both cold cathode, "instant on" types.
The 100 watt lamp contains a "high power factor" ballast.

For the instant-on lamps, the power consumption is actually lower than
in steady-state.  It is true that the lamp draws more AMPS but this is
wattless current due to the low power factor of the unloaded ballast.
The old-style starter lamp drew marginally (~15%) more power starting
than during steady-state.  Nontheless, the TOTAL power consumed during
starting is equal to about 5 to 10 seconds of steady-state operation.

The above isNOT to say that leaving lights on does not have merit.  With
flourosenct as well as filament lamps, the major consumption of
internal resources occurs during powerup.  In the case of filament lamps,
a FAR greater factor in life is the applied voltage.  A few volts higher
than rating will completely swamp any variations due to duty cycle.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress-
Radiation Systems, Inc. | men than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply

rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Ellis) (04/12/90)

In a message of <Apr 05 23:29>, Jim Giles (jlg@lambda.UUCP ) writes:

 JG> This is true for florescent lights.  It requires an average of several
 JG> minutes worth of electricity to 'power-up' a florescent light.  So, if
 JG> you're not planning to leave it off for a larger time that that, leave
 JG> it on.  Incandescent bulbs should be turned off when they're not in
 JG> use no matter how short the interval till the are needed next.

Try 15 seconds.

--
Rick Ellis
...!{dhw68k,zardoz,lawnet,conexch}!ofa123!rick                             rick@ofa123.FIDONET.ORG

rwb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (Bob Berger) (04/12/90)

In article <1646@rsiatl.UUCP>, jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
> It is true that the lamp draws more AMPS but this is
> wattless current due to the low power factor of the unloaded ballast.

Don't dismiss this "wattless" power so quickly. It is exactly
what you are charged for by the utilities meter. Although you
may feel better because you are not using "real" power, I'm more
concerned with the bill they send me. The rate at which the meter
turns is proportional to the volt-amperes of apparent power.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (04/13/90)

In article <8830@pt.cs.cmu.edu> rwb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (Bob Berger) writes:
> Don't dismiss this "wattless" power so quickly. It is exactly what you
> are charged for by the utilities meter [...] The rate at which the meter
> turns is proportional to the volt-amperes of apparent power.

	Sorry, but this is just plain wrong.  Watt-hour meters read actual
true power, V*I*cos(theta).  The "wattless" power, known in the vernacular
as VARS (Volt-Amps Reactive) does not register on the meter.

	If you are an industrial user, the power company may monitor your
power factor (the cos(theta) mentioned above, where theta is the phase
angle between the voltage and current vectors) and get on your case (i.e.
charge you extra) if it gets too low, but the Watt-hour meter *still* reads
true power.  VARS are bad because while they don't constitute any real
power that you are consuming (and thus being charged for), they do increase
the current draw, and lead to larger resistive losses in the power
distribution grid.  In the ultimate nightmare scenario, it may even cause
the generators to loose sync, at which point you are only happy if you own
stock in candle and flashlight battery companies.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Don't Worry, Be Happy"

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (04/13/90)

Subject: Re: Urban Myths again.  --  Indeed!  Let's squelch this one.

In article <8830@pt.cs.cmu.edu> Bob Berger writes:

>Don't dismiss this "wattless" power so quickly. It is exactly
>what you are charged for by the utilities meter. Although you
>may feel better because you are not using "real" power, I'm more
>concerned with the bill they send me. The rate at which the meter
>turns is proportional to the volt-amperes of apparent power.

Sorry, the meter measures real energy, i.e., Watt-Hours, and not VA-hours,
which I have never seen measured.

Meters which measure VA are labeled volt-ampere (or apparent power) meters
and have scales calibrated in VA or KVA.  Meters which measure power are
called wattmeters and have scales calibrated in Watts or KW.

The meter on your house is calibrated in KWHr, and is displays the time
integral of real power (Watts) consumption, in other words, energy, which is
what the utility sells.  Unless you are a large commercial or industrial
establishment, you don't get penalized for non-unity power factor.

Rich

--
How do you know how I can see lessen you kin look out my eyes?
Hoke, in _Driving Miss Daisy_				 rsd@sei.cmu.edu

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (04/13/90)

One place I worked used so much electrical power that the power company
ran a direct feed from the substation to the plant, and we had both
watt AND var metering on the various distribution points.

How much power?  Well, they moved the plant to Washington state to get
their power direct from a dam instead of buying it from SDG&E.  When you
consider that the product was costed at about $1,000 of raw material and
$5,000 of electricity each, you know it's a lot of power.

We're talking 3-inch cylinders of pure ruby or sapphire, about 15
inches long, BTW.
	- Brian

In article <13085@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>consider that the product was costed at about $1,000 of raw material and
>$5,000 of electricity each, you know it's a lot of power.
>
>We're talking 3-inch cylinders of pure ruby or sapphire, about 15
>inches long, BTW.

Um, excuse me, but I'll buy the $5k in energy cost, but
there isn't any way you're going to convince me that the
"raw materials" for 106 cubic inches of solid ruby or
sapphire are going to cost $1000.  I'd still be leery if
you said $1000000, but it's a little closer to the
ballpark.

Perhaps you included the materials for the processing, but not
the actual minerals, eh?

				--Blair
				  "And if you didn't, where did
				   you say this place was?"

forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) (04/14/90)

In article <5663@buengc.BU.EDU> bph@buengc.bu.edu (Blair P. Houghton) writes:
>In article <13085@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>>consider that the product was costed at about $1,000 of raw material and
>>$5,000 of electricity each, you know it's a lot of power.
>>
>>We're talking 3-inch cylinders of pure ruby or sapphire, about 15
>>inches long, BTW.
>
>Um, excuse me, but I'll buy the $5k in energy cost, but
>there isn't any way you're going to convince me that the
>"raw materials" for 106 cubic inches of solid ruby or
>sapphire are going to cost $1000.  I'd still be leery if
>you said $1000000, but it's a little closer to the
>ballpark.
>
>Perhaps you included the materials for the processing, but not
>the actual minerals, eh?

A 15" long 3" diameter sapphire rod is about 7 kilograms of alpha-aluminum
oxide. 99.9+% aluminum oxide from Aesar is about $73.00 a kilo or
$511.00 dollars for the raw materials. If you want to make ruby add another
$100.00 or less for ultrapure chromium oxide. Now melt it in an electric
furnace and slowly pull out a seed crystal, and then you have spent $5000.00
on electricity and you have a very large sapphire rod.

	Jeff