[sci.electronics] NTSC to RGB converter wanted

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (05/03/90)

In article <42@ultrix.uhasun.hartford.edu> lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Andrew Lindh) writes:

|I have a multisync VGA monitor. It can only take RGB (analog or digital)
|and Mono TTL video signals. I also have some great video equipment
|I would like to take NTSC or SVHS Video and convert it to analog RGB
|for display on my VGA monitor.

TVM, a company which makes monitor and monitor accessories, has a product
called *Analog Scan Doubler* which (as far as I can tell) takes NTSC and
displays it on a computer monitor.

If it really does "double" the scans, you don't even need a multi-sync;
a regular VGA will do. (think of it as an IDTV box)

I know very little about the details of how it works but I did see
the results at a trade show and was impressed. Give them a call,

714 985 4788.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
If more freeways causes more freeway usage, why doesn't more

bhh@hriso.ATT.COM (Brad Hansen) (05/05/90)

In article <1990May3.005657.13157@bach.amd.com> phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <42@ultrix.uhasun.hartford.edu> lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Andrew Lindh) writes:
>|
>|I have a multisync VGA monitor. It can only take RGB (analog or digital)
>|and Mono TTL video signals. I also have some great video equipment
>|I would like to take NTSC or SVHS Video and convert it to analog RGB
>|for display on my VGA monitor.
>
>TVM, a company which makes monitor and monitor accessories, has a product
>called *Analog Scan Doubler* which (as far as I can tell) takes NTSC and
>displays it on a computer monitor.
>
>714 985 4788.

I just called TVM and was told by a salesperson that this
product has been discontinued due to lack of demand.  If anyone
knows of a company that does offer NTSC -> VGA please post.

Brad Hansen                             att!attmail!hansenb
AT&T Human Resources                 or brad.hansen@att.com
1 Speedwell Ave., 88E 209o
Morristown, NJ  07962-1954

dlucy@tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) (05/07/90)

>  I have a multisync VGA monitor. It can only take RGB (analog or digital)
>  and Mono TTL video signals. I also have some great video equipment
>  I would like to take NTSC or SVHS Video and convert it to analog RGB
>  for display on my VGA monitor.

Data Translation offers a Video Encoder/Decoder that performs two functions:

	Input		Output
	-----		------
Encoder	RS-170 RGB	NTSC Composite
	CCIR RGB	PAL Composite

Decoder	NTSC Composite	RS-170 RGB
	PAL Composite	CCIR RGB

The DT2879 was designed for use with image capture boards and video
recorders and cameras. It's fairly expensive but very high quality.

Data Translation, Inc.
100 Locke Drive
Marlboro, MA 01752-1192
508.481.3700

--

| "It's such a fine line between stupid..." | Doug Lucy  703.820.3922  |
| "...and clever."                          | DC Pro, Falls Church, VA |

fenger@cpsin1.uucp (Steven V Fenger) (05/08/90)

In article <1990May4.224708.24159@hriso.ATT.COM> bhh@hriso.ATT.COM (Brad Hansen) writes:
>I just called TVM and was told by a salesperson that this
>product has been discontinued due to lack of demand.  If anyone
>knows of a company that does offer NTSC -> VGA please post.
>
>Brad Hansen                             att!attmail!hansenb
>AT&T Human Resources                 or brad.hansen@att.com

Truevision (makers of Targa products) offers a VIDI/O BOX that can do
lots of neat stuff: NTSC->RGB(analog) S-VHS->RGB(a) RGB(a)->NTSC
RGB(a)->S-VHS.  Features include loop-through of all inputs, subcarrier
phase, hue & saturation adjustments, genlock, and black-burst generation
capability.

I have no idea of price, but I would expect $$$$.

young@uswat.uswest.com (Emilie Young) (05/08/90)

> Truevision (makers of Targa products) offers a VIDI/O BOX that can do
> lots of neat stuff: NTSC->RGB(analog) S-VHS->RGB(a) RGB(a)->NTSC
> RGB(a)->S-VHS.  Features include loop-through of all inputs, subcarrier
> phase, hue & saturation adjustments, genlock, and black-burst generation
> capability.

> I have no idea of price, but I would expect $$$$.

It's currently listing for $995. From what I've heard, it's a great deal
for the price.

Emilie Young
young@uswest.com