[sci.electronics] Activity light on ST225

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (05/24/90)

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) writes:

>In article <916@cameron.egr.duke.edu> wdp@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Dev Palmer) writes:
>>I recently installed a Seagate ST225 in my XT clone.  It works great, but I
>>can't get the drive activity light to come on.
>>
>>None of the docs I have show any jumpers for "drive light".  Anybody out there
>>have any illuminating insights?

>The best way is to monitor the drive select signals on the drive control
>connector (34 pin). Pin 26 is Drive 'A', pin 28 is 'B'. Both signals are
>active-low. If they are driven by a 74XX part, hang the LED right on the
>signal, with a 470 ohm resistor to +5 volts.

>If you don't want to muck-around with the drives, try these:

...deleted....

a much simpler solution (if you dont want to muck around with drives) is
to use a small PD TSR called HDFLASH, I think its on my BBS, it puts
a 'smiley face' in the top right hand corner of the screen everytime the disk
is accessed. It prints an inverted one for writes, (one step better than a led)
This program was originally intended for hard card users who dont have
disk leds, but i found it usefull when my AT was under my desk and i could not
see the front.

If you want any more info drop me a line.

Justin Smith

             Justin Smith   SYSOP- Orange Crush BBS  (708) 359-5379
                        24 Hours USRobotics HST14400/V.32
Email UUNET smithju@motcid.uu.net  INTERNET motcid!smithju@chg.mcd.mot.com