[sci.electronics] gerber format

randyn@microsoft.UUCP (Randy NEVIN) (05/30/90)

here's a summary of what i learned:

>From randyn Mon May 14 08:48:22 PDT 1990
>From: randyn@microsoft.UUCP (Randy NEVIN)
>Subject: looking for gerber format
>Date: 14 May 90 15:47:12 GMT
>
>i'm looking for the technical specification for "gerber format"; can anyone
>help point me to it? gerber format (i've also seen it referred to as RS274)
>is an ascii format for describing the photoplotting commands to create a
>printed circuit board, and i'm trying to modify a pcb cad package to output
>gerber format. (gerber is the brand name of a popular photoplotter) i'd
>rather have the technical spec than an informal description (which is all
>i've been able to get so far), but i'll take what i can get. please send
>email to me, and i'll summarize if there's interest

there are basically 2 sources of info on gerber format:

1) GSI Plotter Control Data Format Guide
   document number 40101-S00-066A

   Gerber Scientific Instrument Company
   83 Gerber Road West
   South Windsor, CT 06074
   (203) 644-1551

   this costs $100

2) ANSI/EIA EIA-274-D (the ansi standard)

   American National Standards Institute
   1430 Broadway
   New York, NY 10018
   (212) 354-3300

   this is $18 plus $4 postage/handling

i have ordered #2, but it has not arrived yet
--
Arpanet:  {beaver.cs.washington.edu,uunet.uu.net}!microsoft!randyn
Usenet:   ..{uw-beaver,uunet}!microsoft!randyn