[sci.electronics] math co-processor??

sazerb@pnet01.cts.com (S Zerbe) (06/05/90)

I was digging around inside my xt-clone tonight and was trying to find the
locations of the various chips.  I Know that the microprocessor is the 8088-2
but there was a chip next to it with the following on it:
            NEC 8643w5 V20
            D70108c-8
            '84 NEC
    Now from this I know that the chip was probably made in the 43rd week of
1986 and that NEC is the manufacturere.  But I was wondering is this a Math
Co-Processor??  I have heard of the 8087's but this one is not one that I have
heard of.

Any info on this chip would be a great help.
Thanks
Steven Zerbe   KA4YND

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!sazerb
ARPA: crash!pnet01!sazerb@nosc.mil
INET: sazerb@pnet01.cts.com

wte@sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM (Bill Eason) (06/05/90)

In article <3002@crash.cts.com> sazerb@pnet01.cts.com (S Zerbe) writes:
>I was digging around inside my xt-clone tonight and was trying to find the
>locations of the various chips.  I Know that the microprocessor is the 8088-2
>but there was a chip next to it with the following on it:
>            NEC 8643w5 V20
>            D70108c-8
>            '84 NEC
>Steven Zerbe   KA4YND
>UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!sazerb

Did you ever locate the 8088 in your system?  My guess is that you
didn't.  The NEC V20 is a pin-compatible replacement for the 8088,
but with reduced execution times for several instructions, and with
a few added instructions.  They're very near the same price as the
Intel part, and can enhance the throughput of your PC.

BTW, the V30 is the same deal for the 8086.  Check this in the
back of BYTE or the like, but I think they claim 20-30% increase
in speed.

- Bill

--
Bill Eason   (803) 791-6348	...bill.eason@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM
NCR Corporation

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (06/05/90)

the 70108C-8 is the V20 microprocessor, plastic package, 8 MHz
it is a superset of the 8088 architecture and instruction set;
some execution times are different (faster) on the V20

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (06/06/90)

In article <3002@crash.cts.com> sazerb@pnet01.cts.com (S Zerbe) writes:
-I was digging around inside my xt-clone tonight and was trying to find the
-locations of the various chips.  I Know that the microprocessor is the 8088-2
-but there was a chip next to it with the following on it:
-            NEC 8643w5 V20
-            D70108c-8
-            '84 NEC
Actually, the NEC V20 is their souped up version of the 8088.  If it is in a
socket next to an 8088, someone put it in the wrong place.  It should replace
the 8088.  As you guessed, the socket is for an 8087.  Placing the V20 in
the 8087 socket may have zapped it.
/mike

6600tlee@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Tennyson Lee) (06/06/90)

In article <3002@crash.cts.com> sazerb@pnet01.cts.com (S Zerbe) writes:

   I was digging around inside my xt-clone tonight and was trying to find the
   locations of the various chips.  I Know that the microprocessor is the 8088-2
   but there was a chip next to it with the following on it:
	       NEC 8643w5 V20
	       D70108c-8
	       '84 NEC
       Now from this I know that the chip was probably made in the 43rd week of
   1986 and that NEC is the manufacturere.  But I was wondering is this a Math
   Co-Processor??  I have heard of the 8087's but this one is not one that I have
   heard of.

   Any info on this chip would be a great help.
   Thanks
   Steven Zerbe   KA4YND

As far as I know, the chip you mentioned is an NEC V20 chip.  The V20
is a 8088 compatible processor that NEC claims to be about 10-15%
faster.  If you have one of these in your machine, I wonder why you
still have a 8088 in there.  Don't think it's a math chip since NEC
doesn't make any 8088 compaticle math processors.