[sci.electronics] miniature FM transmitters: bugs

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (05/24/90)

paulk@retix.retix.COM (Paul C. Kim) writes:

>Where can I purchase a miniature FM transmitter?  Generally, how small do
>these get, and how powerful?  Are they easily accessable from a consumer's
>standpoint?  What are the legalities involved?  Are they illegal to
>have in one's possession or are only specific ACTS of eavesdropping
>considered illegal?  How accurately are these little buggers detectable
>via some type of scanner?

>Those familiar with this fascinating niche of electronics please offer
>some answers to my above barrage of questions.  All responses will be
>greatly appreciated.

I`m afraid i'm not that familliar with this `fascinating niche of electronics`,
but i have seen ads for this type of thing in the back of modern electronics
and radio electronics, they  are only small ads (they are only small devices :-)
the cost seems to be fairly minimal (one with a 1 mile range about the size
of a quater $29.98). As for the legality of these, its obviously not illegal
to sell them (in kit form), but i suspect that you had better not get caught
using one <grin>.

Justin Smith

             Justin Smith   SYSOP- Orange Crush BBS  (708) 359-5379
                        24 Hours USRobotics HST14400/V.32
Email UUNET smithju@motcid.uu.net  INTERNET motcid!smithju@chg.mcd.mot.com

sprouse@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steven Sprouse) (05/24/90)

In article <3197@galena2.UUCP> smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) writes:
>paulk@retix.retix.COM (Paul C. Kim) writes:
>
>>considered illegal?  How accurately are these little buggers detectable
>>via some type of scanner?
>
>of a quater $29.98). As for the legality of these, its obviously not illegal
>to sell them (in kit form), but i suspect that you had better not get caught
>using one <grin>.
>
>Justin Smith

	Radio Electronics had an article a few years ago about how
to detect bugs using a spectrum analyzer. The technique involved
making the house quiet, and then scanning the FM spectrum. You
then invert and  store this background signal. Next you get someone
to go screaming through the house making lots of noise while
taking a second reading. When you add the two signals you should
see a peak where the the second reading differs from the first.
This is the bug's frequency.
	The technique sounded plausible, but I don't have a spectrum
analyzer so I can't try it out. I would think it would detect the
cheap bugs you find in the hobbyist magazines.

			-Steven Sprouse

"Good marketing replaces good enineering, whether we like it or not."

In article <667@retix.retix.COM> paulk@retix.retix.COM (Paul C. Kim) writes:
>Where can I purchase a miniature FM transmitter?

The back of Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, etc.

>Generally, how small do these get,

About the size of a dime for the ones in the magazines.
The smallest I've seen is about the size of a tantalum
capacitor, though.

>and how powerful?

100yds-100mi.  Don't expect much for under $10K.

>Are they easily accessable from a consumer's standpoint?

Back of a magazine for the larger ones, true-spook organizations
for the tiny ones (which cost a bundle, is why).

>What are the legalities involved?  Are they illegal to
>have in one's possession or are only specific ACTS of eavesdropping
>considered illegal?

Eavesdropping is illegal regardless of the equipment
employed (or not); but, electronics is not a regulated
science, unless you're transmitting something or installing
house-wiring.  You can have it as long as you didn't steal it.

>How accurately are these little buggers detectable
>via some type of scanner?

Virtually instantaneously and always locatably, with a
spectrum analyzer and a nice array of antennae, unless they
use some sort of freqency-hopping crypto-tuner, which they
don't.  Unless you mean "what if they're turned off at the
time," in which case it takes not much more than a
high-tech grid-dip meter and sufficient proximity.

				--Blair
				  "At least, that's what I think
				   they want me to think, or so
				   I'm told..."

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (05/25/90)

In article <667@retix.retix.COM> paulk@retix.retix.COM (Paul C. Kim) writes:
>Where can I purchase a miniature FM transmitter?  Generally, how small do
>these get, and how powerful?  Are they easily accessable from a consumer's
>standpoint?  What are the legalities involved?  Are they illegal to
>have in one's possession or are only specific ACTS of eavesdropping
>considered illegal?  How accurately are these little buggers detectable
>via some type of scanner?

1. Look in the back of a Radio Electronics, or some other electronics hobbyist
   magazine.  You might try Soldier of Fortune but I can't say for sure
   as I don't read it.  Also go to Toys R Us, somebody sells a little James
   Bond kit that has one.  This is neat, teach little kids to bug one another,
   and also record their parent's sex lives for future use as needed.
2. They get pretty damn small, the range is probably under half a mile at best.
3. If you can address a letter and sign a check you can buy one.  No background
   checks or 15 day waiting period applies as these aren't considered dangerous.
4. It's perfectly legal to have these as long as the range is under an FCC
   ceiling, but it's probably illegal to bug someone with one.  Of course, if
   one fell out of your pocket and ended up in a corner of your boss's office..
5. As they xmit on the FM band all you need to do is turn on the TV near where
   you suspect the bug to be, then use an FM scanner to look for the signal.

I've been thinking about these little beasties for some time now.  Technology
has advanced to the point where it's very simple for us to bug one another
(these FM xmitters are just 1 small example, check out some of those ads).
Eventually the politicians are going to try to outlaw these things.  This has
lots of other problems, namely, how small is small?   It's only a matter of
time until questionable use of one of these is involved in a serious matter,
then life will get interesting.

--
jim		jharkins@sagpd1

I *still* don't know who killed Laura Palmer!

smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) (05/25/90)

sprouse@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steven Sprouse) writes:

>In article <3197@galena2.UUCP> smithju@motcid.UUCP (Justin A. Smith) writes:
>>paulk@retix.retix.COM (Paul C. Kim) writes:
>>
>>>considered illegal?  How accurately are these little buggers detectable
>>>via some type of scanner?

>	Radio Electronics had an article a few years ago about how
>to detect bugs using a spectrum analyzer. The technique involved
>	The technique sounded plausible, but I don't have a spectrum
>analyzer so I can't try it out. I would think it would detect the
>cheap bugs you find in the hobbyist magazines.

	Surely as these bugs are monitored by a normal FM radio, all you
have to do is to turn on your own FM radio in the house and go through all
the frequencies until you hear feedback. at this point you know the
frequency of the bug. I assume you could also use a radio to then detect
the exact location of the bug.

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) (05/26/90)

paulk@retix.retix.COM (Paul C. Kim) writes:

>Where can I purchase a miniature FM transmitter?

Contact Audio Intelligence Device
1400 N.W. 62nd St
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309
305 776 5000

AID is probably the largest maker of police surveillance equipment.
Tell them that you're a consultant who has been hired by Agency X to make
recommendations for and analyze the performance of the type
of bugs you are interested in.  Ask for a general catalog.  I recommend
that "agency X" be a security agency and not law enforcement.  This
is a very closed world and it is likely that the sales people know
the real buyer for XYZ police department.  To buy, you may have to
have help from an agency.  They are really pricks about who they
sell to.  Of course, you can get some good ideas from the catalog.

Generally, how small do
>these get,

The smallest I've seen is a wireless microphone about the size of a
medical capsule.  I was also shown a custom wire AID built that consisted
of a complete medium range wireless microphone built into the
frame of a Colt .45 pistol.  The bug was NOT visible even with the
grips removed.

>and how powerful?

There is an inverse relationship between range and size.  Generally
when wireless bugs must be tiny, a small repeater is installed nearby.
AID sells both.

>Are they easily accessable from a consumer's
>standpoint?

Depends on how resourceful you are. :-)

>What are the legalities involved?  Are they illegal to
>have in one's possession or are only specific ACTS of eavesdropping
>considered illegal?

Depends on the locality.  I'd consult a lawyer if you are seriously
considering using a wire.  It is unconditionally legal to wire your
own conversations.  It gets much more complicated after that.

>How accurately are these little buggers detectable
>via some type of scanner?

A professional sweeper with the proper equipment can find just about any
bug that contains an oscillator or tuned circuit.  On the other hand,
professional sweepers are kinda hard to come by.  I guess it
depends on how afraid you are of jail :-)

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC  | We can no more blame our loss of freedom on congress
Radiation Systems, Inc. | than we can prostitution on pimps.  Both simply

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (06/07/90)

paulk@retix.retix.COM (Paul C. Kim) writes:
>Where can I purchase a miniature FM transmitter?

Two sources of bugging equipment in kit form:

Ramsey Electronics, Inc.
793 Canning Parkway
Victor, NY 14654
(716) 924-4650  FAX: (716) 924-4555

Ramsey appears at many hamfests, including Dayton. The kits are simple
but they work.  Their "High-Power FM Wireless Mike" ($10) has range >
1/2 mile and is probably FCC-illegal.  Their "Phone Bug" transmitter
($10) has one transistor and is powered by the phone line.

Panaxis Productions
PO Box 130
Paradise, CA 95967-0130
(914) 534-0417

Catalog includes innocuous stuff along with interesting low-cost
bugging and anti-bug devices.  They also make "pirate" radio equipment
in kit form.  Use your own judgement about getting on their mailing
list; I hear the FCC is getting ready to bust suppliers of pirate
stuff.

--

Frank     reid@ucs.indiana.edu