[sci.electronics] PC Synths, like the AdLib card

chris@zorin.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) (06/05/90)

I'm considering purchasing an AdLib music system, and I'd like to hear
from others who have synthesizers for thier PCs...
I have the AdLib demo tape, and to me, the AdLib seems to have a generic
'twang' sound, with many of the instruments on the demo. I don't know
if they just don't know how to demo the card to it's limits, or if
the types of sounds it can make are that limited.

I just have a few questions/areas for discussion...

What's the latest in this area? Any other cards around that are better?
I have heard there is a Sound Blaster card from Creative Labs with more
stuff on it, and I'm trying to track that down.

What about midi, like for instance I want to use the synth card, together
with another midi instrument?

Has anyone use the AdLib for composing? Or the 'instrument maker'? How is
the software for playing music, in real time (while recording notes)?

Thanks all!

Christopher A. Nielsen
//////////////////            Zorin Data Systems, Inc
           ////      P.O. Box 5669 Santa Monica, CA 90405-0669
        ////                      (213) 399-3804
     ////		     UUCP: randvax!zorin!info
  ////
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Zorin... "The Future On-Line"  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

sirakide@motcid.UUCP (Dean Sirakides) (06/07/90)

chris@zorin.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) writes:

>I'm considering purchasing an AdLib music system, and I'd like to hear
>from others who have synthesizers for thier PCs...

I bought a package from roland (through sierra on-line software) that
included: Sequencing/librarian software, MIDI interface card, and MT-32
synth for about $500--its a good deal if you're even a little serious
about music with PCs.

The MT-32 sounds great (its 8 part polyphonic and has PCM sampled percussion).
It works with some of the game software out there already.

>What about midi, like for instance I want to use the synth card, together
>with another midi instrument?

The MT-32 has no keyboard, but the MIDI interface card can connect you with
several other MIDI devices, including other keyboards which can in turn
control the MT-32 in real time.

The sequencing software is pretty basic, but more than good enough for
non-pros (it works like an 9 track tape deck).

Dean.

P.S. You can send to sierra on-line for a free demo tape that gives
examples of the IBM synth card, ADLib, and the MT-32.