[sci.electronics] Help needed with Sharp 4501/A laptop RAM expansion

jlb@aipna.ed.ac.uk (John Beaven) (06/13/90)

Hi folks

A friend of mine has a SHARP  4501/A laptop PC. This machine, no longer in
production, came with 256k of RAM which were upgradeable (in 128k increments)
to 640k by plugging a card underneath the computer.

The card itself takes perfectly standard chips, but it seems impossible to
get hold of it nowadays.

Does anyone out there happen to have the schematics so I can make one, or
have any ideas about how to proceed?

Any  help will be greatly appreciated.

John
jlb@aipna.ed.ac.uk

psfales@cbnewsc.att.com (Peter Fales) (06/15/90)

In article <2488@aipna.ed.ac.uk>, jlb@aipna.ed.ac.uk (John Beaven) writes:
> Hi folks
>
> A friend of mine has a SHARP  4501/A laptop PC. This machine, no longer in
> production, came with 256k of RAM which were upgradeable (in 128k increments)
> to 640k by plugging a card underneath the computer.
>
> The card itself takes perfectly standard chips, but it seems impossible to
> get hold of it nowadays.

Try Able Microcomputer Systems, 211 Dempsey Rd, Milpitas, CA 95035.
800-321-2627 (or CA 408-262-0774).  They sell a number of accessories
for the Sharp line and according to the flyer I have, the 128KB RAM
card costs $115, with each additional 128KB for $79.

I have no connection with Able, other than as a satisfied customer.
(I have purchased a replacement battery and an EPROM cartridge from
them on separate occasions, and both orders arrived quickly with no
problems.)

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.