[sci.electronics] Cooling of electronic equipment.

jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) (06/26/90)

I have some electronic equipment that requires cooling.
The cabinet is 36 x 30 inche Hoffman enclosure, the cabinet is
not located close enough to pipe air-conditioned air into it.

I need to find a small cooling unit or heat-exchanger to maintain
proper temp and humidity.

If anyone has any suggestions to help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Jack Hudler

--
Jack 		Computer Support Corportion		Dallas,Texas
Hudler		UUCP: {texsun,texbell}!csccat!jack

macminn@powertool.crd.ge.com (Stephen R MacMinn) (06/28/90)

In article <3739@csccat.UUCP> jack@csccat.UUCP (Jack Hudler) writes:
>I have some electronic equipment that requires cooling.
>The cabinet is 36 x 30 inche Hoffman enclosure, the cabinet is
>not located close enough to pipe air-conditioned air into it.
>
>I need to find a small cooling unit or heat-exchanger to maintain
>proper temp and humidity.

If you can spare the power, you might consider using thermoelectric
coolers.  These make use of the thermoelectric effect: current through
the device cools one junction and heats the other.  You can buy devices
sized suitably for, say, a picnic cooler.  NOTE: efficiency is terrible,
but they're solid state, silent, and EXTREMELY reliable.  The best way
to use them would probably be to put the parts that need cooling on a
heatsink and cool the heatsink.  You also need a heat dissipator on the
hot side to get rid of the heat you're pumping + the heat dissipated by
the cooler itself.

Sources are:  MELCOR in New Jersey   and
              MARLOW Industries Inc,  Garland Texas.

They're generally happy to supply application information.

PS: They're fascinating devices, they're also reversible.  heat one side,
    cool the other and you get current (again very inefficient) out the
    wires.