[sci.electronics] Car Stereo Modifications

mje@olsa99.UUCP (Mark J Elkins) (06/27/90)

In article <10747@ingr.com> palmerc@ingr.UUCP (Chris Palmer) writes:
>I have noticed that several new car stereo systems now have a stereo input
>jack for portable CD input.

>I would like to add a stereo input jack that would
>allow me to patch my Walkman's headphone output into my car stereo (and maybe
>get a portable CD player too).  Has anyone done this?

I've had a portable Phillips C10 CD player for about 4 years - and
often pondered this point.  Then I had the bucks to buy a 'new' (shop
soiled) radio/cassette (about 6 months ago).

I asked the shop about this - the'd never done this before.  They sent
it off to the local distributor/fixit shop who added a 3.5mm stereo
jack for my CD.  The 'upgrade' was free.  It works regardless of the
normal audio source (radio/tape) so I presume that the jack interrupts
the circuit somewere between pre-amps and vol/tone control.  As it
cost nothing - I presume it can't have been that difficult to do!

It still works fine!

--
  .  .     ___. .__      Olivetti Systems & Networks, Unix Support - Africa
 /| /|       / /__       UUCP: {uunet,olgb1,olnl1}!olsa99!mje (Mark Elkins)

stevek@locus.com (Steve Krattiger) (06/29/90)

In article <2236@olsa99.UUCP> mje@olsa99.UUCP (Mark J Elkins) writes:
>In article <10747@ingr.com> palmerc@ingr.UUCP (Chris Palmer) writes:
>>I have noticed that several new car stereo systems now have a stereo input
>>jack for portable CD input.
>
>>I would like to add a stereo input jack that would
>>allow me to patch my Walkman's headphone output into my car stereo (and maybe
>>get a portable CD player too).  Has anyone done this?

My younger brother had this same dilemma last year when he learned to drive.
He went down to Circuit City and picked up a really nifty device just for this
purpose.  What it is, is a cassette tape with a record head built inside, and
a wire coming out of the cassette that plugs into your CD player.  You simply
plug the cassette into the tape player in your car, plug the jack into your
CD player, and voila!  The tape head inside the cassette simply takes the
electrical impulses coming from the CD player, and turns them into magnetic
fluctuations just like they would be put on an ordinary cassette; however,
your car tape player picks them up and plays them just like they were coming
from a cassette!  If you don't know of any Circuit City's near you, possibly
check out a Radio Shack store, I believe that they carry them also.

|    Steve Krattiger     |-/\/\/\--|        Locus Computing Corp.       ..    |
|    stevek@locus.com             ===       Los Angeles, California     \/    |