[sci.electronics] SCSI Support For NET

John_A_Pham@cup.portal.com (06/27/90)

I'm planning to build a SCSI card for my computer, and since everyone is
talking SCSI, perhaps someone would enlight me on selecting the right
SCSI chip to use.  I have Fujitsu MB87030, National Semi 5380 and
8490 spec sheets but I wonder which to use.  I know that the 8490 and MB87030
can handle to up 4Mbytes/sec transfer, but which chip is easier to program
and which is easier to interface to differential SCSI bus.

John

jack@focsys.uucp (Jack Houde) (06/28/90)

In article <31177@cup.portal.com> John_A_Pham@cup.portal.com writes:
>I'm planning to build a SCSI card for my computer, and since everyone is
>talking SCSI, perhaps someone would enlight me on selecting the right
>SCSI chip to use.  I have Fujitsu MB87030, National Semi 5380 and
>8490 spec sheets but I wonder which to use.  I know that the 8490 and MB87030
>can handle to up 4Mbytes/sec transfer, but which chip is easier to program
>and which is easier to interface to differential SCSI bus.
>
>John

While your at it, check out the Adaptec AIC-6250.

vail@tegra.COM (Johnathan Vail) (07/02/90)

In article <31177@cup.portal.com> John_A_Pham@cup.portal.com writes:

   I'm planning to build a SCSI card for my computer, and since everyone is
   talking SCSI, perhaps someone would enlight me on selecting the right
   SCSI chip to use.  I have Fujitsu MB87030, National Semi 5380 and
   8490 spec sheets but I wonder which to use.  I know that the 8490 and MB87030
   can handle to up 4Mbytes/sec transfer, but which chip is easier to program
   and which is easier to interface to differential SCSI bus.

I am involved with using the Am33C93 SCSI bus interface chip.  It is a
newer design and seems to be very complete and easy to use.
Internally it is an 8 bit micro.  It supports DMA and has regular bus
driver built in.  Works both target and host mode and will run up to 5
Mb/s.

If you are starting a fresh design check this one out before deciding.
The spec sheet I have is AMD, I don't know who else makes it.

"Like a clock, they sent, through, a washing machine:
 come around, make it soon, so alone." -- Syd Barrett
 _____
 -----  jv@n1dxg.ampr.org {...sun!sunne ..uunet}!tegra!vail