[sci.electronics] x-10 controllers

John.Geary@ofa123.fidonet.org (John Geary) (07/11/90)

To any one that can help, I require the pricing on the x-10. From what I can
understand from other messages the x-10 will turn on and off appliences. How
durable are they? I have a comercial application for them and require a PC to
turn them on and off. If any one can help please post a message or call me at
266-5312 and ask for John.
Thanks in advance.

--
John Geary
Internet: John.Geary@ofa123.fidonet.org

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (07/11/90)

In article <740.269A7AA3@ofa123.fidonet.org> John.Geary@ofa123.fidonet.org (John Geary) writes:
>To any one that can help, I require the pricing on the x-10. From what I can
>understand from other messages the x-10 will turn on and off appliences. How
>durable are they? I have a comercial application for them and require a PC to
>turn them on and off. If any one can help please post a message or call me at
>266-5312 and ask for John.
>Thanks in advance.

     I have used the X-10 system (at home) for no less than four years
   and have been satisfied with thier performance and reliability.  I would
   not recommend using them for most comercial applications.  The X-10
   system is limited to switching AC loads only and the switching modules
   (if I remember correctly) have a relitively low rating for current (four
   or five Amps I believe).

     The X-10 control console sends simple, modulated messages over existing
   A.C. power lines.  There is no error detection.  The receiving modules
   have no means of transmitting information back to the control console, so
   all control messages are assumed to have been transmitted, received, and
   decoded without errors.

     In the commercial and industrial environments, these units are not
    likely to be reliable.  Electrical noises on the powerline can
    interfere with (corrupt) the X-10 messages.  This same randomn noise can
    also be mistaken by a receiving module as a valid control signals !
    The likelyhood of such errors increases significantly if there are
    other "carrier current" devices within the same building unless these
    devices are seperated from the X-10 components by a power transformer.
    The devices most likely to interfer with the X-10 are: light dimmers,
    certain wireless intercomms, motor speed controllers, and some computers.

       I design systems for remote data collection and equipment control
    in industrial environments.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370      { ames, sun }!atari!facv01!gordon
Signetics in Sunnyvale,Ca (USA)  or {mips,pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships: Every extinction, whether
 animal, mineral, vegetable, or cultural hastens our own demise.

jbd@osf.org (Bruce Dawson) (07/12/90)

In article <40960@prls.UUCP>, gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:
> In article <740.269A7AA3@ofa123.fidonet.org>
John.Geary@ofa123.fidonet.org (John Geary) writes:
> > How durable are they? I have a comercial application for them and require
> >a PC to turn them on and off.
>
>    I would not recommend using them for most comercial applications.

Has anyone used the "more reliable" Leviton PCC series and care to
comment on their reliability in real applications? They are X10 modules
that are designed
for the commercial market.

--Bruce

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) (07/12/90)

I got some X-10 dimmer modules which replaced conventional light switches.
After awhile, they got increasingly difficult to turn on/off locally. It drove
my wife bonkers, so they went bye-bye. Maybe I'll put them in my workshop.

A few years ago, I put an appliance module on the copier at work. Whenever this
particular yuppie-business-weenie put a stack of papers in the loader, walked
out, and expected his 15 copies of a 40-50 page document when he returned, it
'mysteriously' stopped at page 2. Eventually he waited at the machine. I'd
usually let him do 4 or 5 copies, then CLICK. Stupid moron never figured it
out. I will attest, that even under brutal punishment, the appliance module
always worked fine.

There are some very expensive new homes being built in my neighborhood. Gosh,
it sure is tempting to install a few of these things before the walls get
sealed-up......