[sci.electronics] MC68000 help needed

adf@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Andrew D. Fernandes) (07/13/90)

I have a slight problem which I hope someone can help me with.  The computer
science club here at Waterloo has a couple of HP9000 series computers with
what we think are 68000 processors.  The only trouble is, when we open them
up, the only thing that can be found that even vaugely resembles a
microprocessor is a 10x10 PGA (number of centre pins removed: unknown) labeled
as follows:

(Motorola logo)
1820-3288
GN78427

According to all the data books I have looked in, this is either a
68000, 68010, or 68012.  What we think we have is a 68000.  We want either
a 68010 or 68012.  I suppose that a quick software check should be able to
tell the difference appart between the 10 an 00, but not the 10 and 12.
Besides... we'd like to know exactly what we have.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
-Andrew.

Andrew D. Fernandes, adf@watcsc.{u}waterloo.{ca|edu}, {...}!watmath!watcsc!adf
"Man is a rational animal... so at least I have been told." - Bertrand Russell

johne@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (John Eaton) (07/16/90)

<<<
< (Motorola logo)
< 1820-3288
< GN78427
----------
Its a Mot MC68000R-12.

John Eaton
!hpvcfs1!johne

mhc@hpctdkg.HP.COM (Mark Copley) (07/17/90)

> I have a slight problem which I hope someone can help me with.  The computer
> science club here at Waterloo has a couple of HP9000 series computers with
> what we think are 68000 processors.  The only trouble is, when we open them
> up, the only thing that can be found that even vaugely resembles a
> microprocessor is a 10x10 PGA (number of centre pins removed: unknown) labeled
> as follows:
>
> (Motorola logo)
> 1820-3288
> GN78427
>
> According to all the data books I have looked in, this is either a
> 68000, 68010, or 68012.  What we think we have is a 68000.  We want either

1820-3288 is HP's internal part number for a 12 MHz NMOS PGA 68000

When you boot up the system the ROM should also put on the display
what processor, FPU, amount of memory, etc that you have.

Hope that helps,

Mark Copley
mhc@hpctdlb.hp.com

esmith@apple.com (Eric Smith) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul13.153003.13647@watcsc.waterloo.edu>
adf@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Andrew D. Fernandes) writes:
> I have a slight problem which I hope someone can help me with.  The
computer
> science club here at Waterloo has a couple of HP9000 series computers
with
> what we think are 68000 processors.  The only trouble is, when we open
them
> up, the only thing that can be found that even vaugely resembles a
> microprocessor is a 10x10 PGA (number of centre pins removed: unknown)
labeled
> as follows:
>
> (Motorola logo)
> 1820-3288
> GN78427
>
> According to all the data books I have looked in, this is either a
> 68000, 68010, or 68012.  What we think we have is a 68000.  We want
either
> a 68010 or 68012.  I suppose that a quick software check should be able
> tell the difference appart between the 10 an 00, but not the 10 and 12.
> Besides... we'd like to know exactly what we have.

A 68012 comes in an 84 pin PGA (more pins for the added address lines
and the RMC line).

Also, I believe the GN7 mask code is for a 68000.

----
Eric Smith    esmith@apple.com
Opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my
employer, family, friends, computer, or even me!  :-)