[sci.electronics] Intro text on phones?

jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (07/03/90)

Can someone recommend a good book on telephone signals?

I'm looking for something that presupposes a good electronics
background, but total ignorance about what kinds of voltages
and signals come out of the wall connector, what's inside a
handset, etc.

thanks, Jeff

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@eos.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 262-2, Moffet Field CA, 94035

jthornto@fs1.ee.ubc.ca (THORNTON JOHAN A) (07/04/90)

Radio Shack used to have a good one.  I lost my copy, but I remember
it being good.

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (07/05/90)

In article <6887@eos.UUCP> jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) writes:
>Can someone recommend a good book on telephone signals?
Try 'Understanding Telephone Electronics', available at your local
Radio Shack.
/mike

--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

freeman@eola.UCF.EDU (07/10/90)

Radio Sheik carries a paperback called "Understanding Telephone
Electronics." The cover is either red or orange. I think it was
written by some guys from Texas Instruments. If still available, it
shouldn't cost more than $7.95 US.

Other info is available in some of the modem-chip mfgr's data books
and app notes; see Rockwell, TI, Sierra, Silicon Systems?, etc...

Another possible source is the test labs of Dash, Strauss, & Goodhue
(somewhere, Massachussettes). They know modems and FCC-68 inside and
out. They also publish a magazine called "Compliance Engineering" whic
h might be useful.

MarkJ
freeman@eola.ucf.edu

long-morrow@cs.yale.edu (H. Morrow Long) (07/17/90)

In article <6887@eos.UUCP> jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) writes:
>Can someone recommend a good book on telephone signals?
>
>I'm looking for something that presupposes a good electronics
>background, but total ignorance about what kinds of voltages
>and signals come out of the wall connector, what's inside a
>handset, etc.

Radio Shack - Understanding Telephone Electronics.
	Its a Howard Sams book.  It looks like a lot of the material was
	developed for a course on telephony for the TI Learning Ctr.

				H. Morrow Long
				Manager of Development
				Yale Univ. Comp Sci Dept. Computing Facility

Mail Stop 2158,				UUCP: yale!Long-Morrow
Yale Station,				ARPA: Long-Morrow@CS.Yale.EDU
New Haven, CT  06520			BITNET: Long-Morrow@YaleCS.BITNET
(203)-432-1254				FAX:	(203)-432-0593