[sci.electronics] A telephone question and Re: Answering Machines

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (07/19/90)

In article <31823@cup.portal.com> dbell@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) writes:
>         The remote functions of the a.m require a sequence of 3
>tones, each sustained for the better part of a second, for it to
>respond. The latest PBX system at my wife's employer is fully
>electronic, and just sends a short (~100 mSec) burst of tone when
>she dials. Same situation with our (Mobira) cellular phone. Neither
>of these will allow us to remotely pick up messages.

Well, you COULD get a second answering machine. Or, you COULD get a small
TT-generating keyboard...you could pirate one from an old TT 'phone, and
I seem to recall Radio Schlock sells...or sold...an IC version that could
easily be fudged up as a handheld accessory that you could use on ANY
'phone -- such as the pulse-dial units we have here at n5gax :-(.

Tangent: The TelCo _STILL_ wants an additional $.99/mo. (better known as $1)
to "add" tone dialing. It seems to me that it's cheaper for them to have me
use tone than pulse, being that I dial quicker and therefore stay on the line
for a shorter period (and I have unmetered service, too :^).

Does anyone KNOW if it's cheaper or not?

End Tangent.

					Luck o' the Irish to ye,

			"Peace is hell." -- Skyler
   Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu