[sci.electronics] Blue and UltraViolet LED's

murray@uctvax (07/10/90)

Please could anybody who has actually seen a blue LED write in and talk
a bit about its colour? There was one message which seemed to imply they
looked a little washed out. Is this in fact so?

Also does anybody out there know anything about the possibility of building
a LED in ultraviolet? I know about IR LED's, but a UV LED would be useful!

Mark Murray

Physics Dept             |  I know you understand what you think I  |
University of Cape Town  |  said, but I'm not sure you realise that |
Rondebosch 7700          |  what you heard is not what I meant.     |
South Africa             |                                          |

murray.uctvax@f4.n494.z5.fidonet.org - internet
murray@uctvax                        - uninet

heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) (07/12/90)

The one I bought from Ledtronics (?) has a color that is a sort of
'powder' blue.  The light was bright enough, just not a very intense
blue.

A look at its spectral output curve showed no output in the UV.  I was
hoping to use it as a sensor in the UV (most LEDs will work as low
power photoelectric sensors).  I don't have the spec sheet here with
me, but I believe the 'blue' end cutoff was at about 470nm.

I might mention that these toys aren't cheap.  The one I bought cost
$15.

In article <HESKETT.90Jul11122218@mercury.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>, heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) writes:
> The one I bought from Ledtronics (?) has a color that is a sort of
> 'powder' blue.  The light was bright enough, just not a very intense blue.
>
> A look at its spectral output curve showed no output in the UV.  I was
> hoping to use it as a sensor in the UV (most LEDs will work as low
> power photoelectric sensors).  I don't have the spec sheet here with
> me, but I believe the 'blue' end cutoff was at about 470nm.

	LED radiation emission technology issues notwithstanding, only
certain special plastic formulations are capable of transmitting UV
radiation without an overwhelming degree of attenuation.   Most LED's
that I am aware of are encapsulated with epoxy materials that have a
usable low end wavelength around 400 nm.  While some plastic formulations
such as methacrylates can be used as low as 275 nm, I am not aware of
any such material being used in LED's, however.

	It is therefore not surprising that you detected no UV radiation.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
     {boulder||decvax||rutgers||watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
VOICE: 716/688-1231 || FAX: 716/741-9635  {utzoo||uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

In article <17596.2699d803@uctvax> murray@uctvax writes:
>Also does anybody out there know anything about the possibility of building
>a LED in ultraviolet? I know about IR LED's, but a UV LED would be useful!

If you thought a blue LED was a long time coming, I suggest not holding
your breath waiting for UV LEDs.  The problems get exponentially worse,
so to speak, as the wavelength shortens.
--
NFS:  all the nice semantics of MSDOS, | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and its performance and security too.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

gordonl@microsoft.UUCP (Gordon LETWIN) (07/14/90)

In article <HESKETT.90Jul11122218@mercury.titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu>, heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) writes:
> The one I bought from Ledtronics (?) has a color that is a sort of
> 'powder' blue.  The light was bright enough, just not a very intense
> blue.

I have two of these - in the clear and the diffused package.  I agree that
they're not a deep "violet blue" but I wouldn't describe them as "powder
blue".  Powder blue has a lot of white in it, I think, whereas these
leds don't, obvuiously.  Their peak emission is 470 NM, as I recall,
so those with the right chart can determine the colour.  I'm perfectly
satisfied with the blue - it's a "real, true blue", but it's not a super
dark "royal blue"...

	gordon letwin

bwhite@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bill White) (07/15/90)

In article <1990Jul11.233848.29098@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <17596.2699d803@uctvax> murray@uctvax writes:
>>Also does anybody out there know anything about the possibility of building
>>a LED in ultraviolet? I know about IR LED's, but a UV LED would be useful!
>
>If you thought a blue LED was a long time coming, I suggest not holding
>your breath waiting for UV LEDs.  The problems get exponentially worse,
>so to speak, as the wavelength shortens.

	My simple procedure for getting UV out of an LED (use yellow, as they
are cheaper).

	1. Take a power cord.
	2. Insert a diode in-line with one lead (after all, you want 120VDC,
	not AC)
	3. Wire up the LED
	4. Plug it in.

Bingo!  You will (briefly) see a blinding white light that contains some
UV.  Now all you have to do is filter out the visible portion, and find some
way of cleaning up the mess you just made (avoid inhaling the fumes).

All kidding aside, I actually used to take those micromini clear-cased red
LED's (with the two leads coming out axially, they looked a bit like surface
mount resistors) and put the leads across a 9V battery.  They would glow
white! (and burn my finger!)

I also wouldn't hold my breath for UV.  Hey, if you really want to wait a
long time, ask for an X-ray LED (or gamma ray, for that matter)

--
|   Bill White			Internet: bwhite@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu	|
|	VIQUE'S LAW:							|

paul@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul Bame) (07/16/90)

> A look at its spectral output curve showed no output in the UV.  I was
> hoping to use it as a sensor in the UV (most LEDs will work as low
> power photoelectric sensors).  I don't have the spec sheet here with
> me, but I believe the 'blue' end cutoff was at about 470nm.

Selenium (sp?) photo cells have UV response.

rdi@cci632.UUCP (Rick Inzero) (07/17/90)

In article <1551@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bwhite@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bill White) writes:
>In article <1990Jul11.233848.29098@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>
>>If you thought a blue LED was a long time coming, I suggest not holding
>>your breath waiting for UV LEDs.  The problems get exponentially worse,
>>so to speak, as the wavelength shortens.
>
>I also wouldn't hold my breath for UV...

I may have missed a follow-up where my question was answered, but:
just what's so technologically difficult here, regarding the UV LEDs?
Sure, the currently used plastic housings won't pass shorter
wavelengths of UV, but so what?  Wouldn't a silica glass housing work just
fine, in fact, even passing short wavelengths of UV??  I'm not saying they'd
be cheap, but I don't see any big hurdles that need to be leaped.
Unless there's some problem with actually generating the UV from the
light emitting diode chip itself...  So far, all I remember is postings
that the plastic housing was the problem.

Rick Inzero				        rochester!cci632!rdi
Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI)			uunet!ccicpg!cci632!rdi
Rochester, NY					uunet!rlgvax!cci632!rdi

"Your grandmother never, ever called me stupid.
	She always called me 'pinhead'." -Jimmy Stewart in 1988 Campbells Soup
								commercial.

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (07/18/90)

In article <38692@cci632.UUCP> rdi@ccird3.UUCP (Rick Inzero) writes:

>...just what's so technologically difficult here, regarding UV LEDs?
>Sure, the currently used plastic housings won't pass shorter
>wavelengths of UV, but so what?  Wouldn't a silica glass housing work just
>fine, in fact, even passing short wavelengths of UV?

	The light emission occurs preferentially at the bandgap energy
of a semiconductor.  GaAs gives infrared; Ga, Al, and In in some proportion
with As, P give various shades up to green.
	To get blue, SiC is used (that's silicon carbide, like
the grit in sandpaper).  For UV, you'd need to develop yet another
(new) semiconductor.  Maybe doped diamond?  The bandgap is about
right for UV...

			John Whitmore

In article <38692@cci632.UUCP> rdi@ccird3.UUCP (Rick Inzero) writes:
>Unless there's some problem with actually generating the UV from the
>light emitting diode chip itself...  So far, all I remember is postings
>that the plastic housing was the problem.

That's a side issue; the hard part is getting short-wavelength emissions
out of semiconductors at all.  (Nondestructively, that is! :-))  It's not
a packaging problem that has delayed useful blue LEDs until quite
recently.  The mechanisms and materials that fairly easily yielded IR,
red, yellow, and green simply can't be stretched to blue, let alone
further.  My impression is that the blue ones are a triumph over major
difficulties, and nobody's in a hurry to tackle UV.
--

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (07/18/90)

In article <38692@cci632.UUCP> rdi@ccird3.UUCP (Rick Inzero) writes:

>I may have missed a follow-up where my question was answered, but:
>just what's so technologically difficult here, regarding the UV LEDs?

Finding a wide, direct bandgap semiconductor that can be doped n and p type.

Making it pure enough that midgap states won't overwhelm band-to-band
recombination (which gets exponentially tougher as the bandgap increases).

Making ohmic contact to it.

Hoping that it has mechanical and thermal properties that allow it to
tolerate operating conditions.

Finding a market for it that justifies the R&D expense.

Among others...
--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

greg@bluemtn.uucp (Greg Richter (2XS)) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul18.033929.13442@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <38692@cci632.UUCP> rdi@ccird3.UUCP (Rick Inzero) writes:
>>Unless there's some problem with actually generating the UV from the
>>light emitting diode chip itself...  So far, all I remember is postings
>>that the plastic housing was the problem.

 and gets the response:

>...  The mechanisms and materials that fairly easily yielded IR,
>red, yellow, and green simply can't be stretched to blue, let alone
>further.  ...

Actually, the emitters are silicon carbide, and are quite the bitch to
bond to.  We are working with this nasty material, so this is not idle
speculation.  The problem with blue is not the material or the mechanism,
it's actually putting it in a usable industrial form.  Making them small
is even tougher.  You get what is known as 'dark line cracks' where the
substrate cracks under the thermal stress of the lead weld.  Makes dark
lines appear in the LED.

Pleasantly -

-GR

--
"Nothing to say, no place to say it."    | Greg Richter

strong@tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) (07/19/90)

}
}That's a side issue; the hard part is getting short-wavelength emissions
}out of semiconductors at all.  (Nondestructively, that is! :-))  It's not
}a packaging problem that has delayed useful blue LEDs until quite
}recently.  The mechanisms and materials that fairly easily yielded IR,
}red, yellow, and green simply can't be stretched to blue, let alone
}further.  My impression is that the blue ones are a triumph over major
}difficulties, and nobody's in a hurry to tackle UV.

Yes, indeed.  And I'll bet the RIAA is heaving a big sigh of relief.  CDs
already last too long in their opinion.  They used to be able to sell an
LP with Brahms' 4th.  Now with CDs, they have to throw in at least the
Tragic Overture in order to be competitive.

Can you imagine the problems of a CD that would last 3 hours? That's
about how long they'd last if the laser worked at 400nm.

--

Norm Strong  (strong@tc.fluke.com)
2528 31st S.   Seattle WA 98144