[sci.electronics] Need help ... is there any inexpensive device that

sllu@jenny.isi.edu (Shih-Lien Lu) (07/21/90)

will detect UV light only (200nm to 400 nm wave length)?
If not, is there any device that will detect light down to 200 nm wave
length?
Thank you in advance.

Shih-Lien Lu

ftpam1@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (07/21/90)

In article <14380@venera.isi.edu>, sllu@jenny.isi.edu (Shih-Lien Lu) writes...
>will detect UV light only (200nm to 400 nm wave length)?
>If not, is there any device that will detect light down to 200 nm wave
>length?
>Thank you in advance.
>

>Shih-Lien Lu

     Photomultiplier tubes (possibly with optic filtering).  High voltage
(> 1 KV) and big bucks ($$$).  Manufacturers include RCA and Hammatsu.  Sorry
I don't have addresses available; my databooks are in storage some 3000 Km
southeast.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul21.023806.12927@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> ftpam1@acad3.fai.alaska.edu writes:
>In article <14380@venera.isi.edu>, sllu@jenny.isi.edu (Shih-Lien Lu) writes...
>>will detect UV light only (200nm to 400 nm wave length)?
>>If not, is there any device that will detect light down to 200 nm wave
>>length?
>
>     Photomultiplier tubes (possibly with optic filtering).

	Or perhaps simple photocells.  The bias voltage on a
photomultiplier (PMT) tube's first cathode can be deliberately
degraded (run low) so that only energetic photons (UV) generate
electrons... this is the 'photoelectric effect' that Einstein
got his Nobel for explaining.  Photocells, while having MUCH
lower currents, are easier to bias.  Look up 'stopping potential'
in any discussion of photoelectricity.

		John Whitmore

kgreer@mcnc.org (Ken Greer) (07/22/90)

In article <14380@venera.isi.edu> sllu@ISI.EDU (Shih-Lien Lu) writes:
>will detect UV light only (200nm to 400 nm wave length)?
>If not, is there any device that will detect light down to 200 nm wave
>length?

  I think this is the very same project shown in this month's Scientific
American.  I don't still have it, but take a look.  There was (is) a
project, with parts sources, for people to figure out how much UV is
measureable, so presumably you can get some data to predict the end of the
ozone layer and the end of life on the planet.  It mentioned the use of some
filters, too, and sources for them.

Kim

--
Kim L. Greer			       try: klg@orion.mc.duke.edu