[sci.electronics] IDS-440 info.

fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Filip Gieszczykiewicz) (07/24/90)

I have recieved many replies in connection with my post. This is
by far the most complete one. I set up my printer with the
following and it worked the _first_ time :-)

	I was asked to post this here so that others can get
	theirs working too. Here goes:

>From: joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph)
Subject: Re: IDS 440 "Paper Tiger" info

Filip, [me]

The printer you have is the famous IDS Paper Tiger, the first really
popular personal computer printer (before Epson arrived on the scene).
Most of them were used as parallel printers.  They have one character
set built in but could print it at a number of different densities
(characters per inch) to get tiny or LARGE letters.  The 440G had a
bigger buffer and different roms to do graphics and was very popular
with early Apple II owners.  I had one for years and have fond
memories of it (I haven't actually owned a printer since).

I still have the manual for it.  I will send you a copy if you want
it, or if you just want the DIP switch settings they are:

Dip S 4 (Top of printer board towards you, left side)

SW7 - 50/60 Hz select (power supply frequency)
Off=60hz
On=50hz

SW6 Remote control Deselect.  Enables or disables recognition of DC1
and DC3 Ascii control codes
off=disable
on=enable

SW5 Automatic Line feed.  Enables or Disables a line feed upon
receiving a carriage return.
off=disable
on=enable

SW4 Automatic Page Skip.  Enables or disables a 1 inch skip at form
boundaries.
off=disable
on=enable

SW3 Lines per inch.
off=6 LPI
on=8 LPI

SW2 and SW1 Character Density select.

SW1    SW2    density
off    off    8.3 CPI
off    on     12  CPI
on     off    10 CPI
on     on     16.5 CPI

(caution - continuous operation over long periods of time at 16.5 CPI
can cause thermal print head failure)

DIP Bank S 3 (top of printer, board towards you, Right side)

SW1, SW2, SW3 - Page size select

SW1  SW2  SW3  Size
off  off  off  3 inches
off  off  on   4 inches
off  on   off  3.5 inches
off  on   on   5.5 inches
on   off  off  7 inches
on   off  on   11 inches
on   on   off  8.5 inches
on   on   on   14 inches

SW4/SW5 Serial Data Baud Rate.

SW4   SW5  Rate
off   off  110 baud
off   on   300 baud
on    off  600 baud
on    on   1200 baud

SW6 Control codes.  Enables or disables the recognition of special
control codes to select graphics mode, change character size ...
off= disable
on=enable

SW7 Serial/Parallel interface select
off = Parallel TTL
on = Serial EIA

The IDS 440 also contains two strapping platforms on the component
side of the controller card.  The platform close to the top of the
card should have its straps positioned betweeen pins 1-14, 3-12, and
5-10 if the optional graphics mode is not installed in the printer.
If the optional graphics mode IS installed, straps will be positioned
between pins 2-13, 4-11 and 6-9.

The other strapping platform located near the printer interface
connector selects active polarity for parallel interface control
signals BUSY and STROBE.  Positioning straps from pins 7-8 and 4-11
causes BUSY to become active when it drops to a logic 0 state, and
STROBE to transfer data on its negative going edge.  Changing these
straps to pins 6-9 and 5-10 causes BUSY to become active when raised
to a logic 1 state and STROBE to transfer data as it rises positive.
Note that pins 1-14 on this platform should always remain strapped
whether positive or negative polarity has been selected.

When used serially, treat the DB-25 connector as a regular RS 232
port.

For parallel hookup:

pin   Signal
15    DB6
9     DB5
10    DB4
11    DB3
12    DB2
13    DB1
14    DB0
19    BUSY - >
3     STROBE < -
22    ACK - >
4     ONLINE - >
18    FAULT - >
23    ENABLED - >
24    Paper Out - >
1     Protective Ground
7     Signal Ground

That's all you should need to know about your new printer to get it up
and running.  If you want the whole manual, send me $5

Seymour Joseph
1730 Elk Street
Piscataway NJ 08854

	Thank you to everyone that replied.
"The Force will be with you, always." It _is_ with me and has been for 10 years
Filip Gieszczykiewicz    "A man without a dream is like a fish without water."
FMGST@PITTVMS  or  fmgst@unix.cis.pitt.edu "My ideas. ALL MINE!!"