[sci.electronics] Analog Signal on Floppy Drives?

kz08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ken Zuroski) (07/09/90)

Hi:

First of all, I'm not a technical person, so please forgive any
inappropriate terminology I might use or any other such denseness on
my part.

I heard on the radio the other day that instead of using conventional
cassette tapes to store commercials and other such clipettes, radio
DJ's are beginning to use 3.5 inch microdiskettes instead. It was my
understanding from the news I heard that the information was not
stored digitally, but rather was analog, much like conventional
cassette tapes. The advantage in doing things this way was that they
could program a computer (I think they mentioned a macintosh) to play
clipettes at appropriate times, do special effects, etc.

Can anyone tell me if this is a common thing, that is, storing analog
information (or rather, storing information in analog) on media
conventionally used to store digital info? Obviously the hardware
needed to read/store such analog information would differ from
conventional disk drives; does anyone know which manufactures make such
equipment? Also: storing a song or a picture in analog takes up much
less media space compared to digital, is that not true? (Of course at
the expense of many other things, I am aware . . . .).

Thank you for reading and for any information you can give me.

--Ken Zuroski

hbg6@citek.phx.mcd.mot.com (07/10/90)

In article <Iaa=_e200WBKE57EV0@andrew.cmu.edu> kz08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ken Zuroski) writes:

>Can anyone tell me if this is a common thing, that is, storing analog
>information (or rather, storing information in analog) on media
>conventionally used to store digital info? Obviously the hardware

We evaluated an inspection system in our plant about 8 months ago which
stored frames of video onto a 3 1/2" hard drive. The idea was to store an
image of a perfect circuit board in the system, then electronically compare
it to a live image of the same board type.

It's difficult to get any hard technical details from a salesman but as I
understand it, one frame takes up one track on the media. One field is on
side one and one field is on side two. As the disk rotates, it switches from
one side to the other to construct the full frame.

They also had a sharp security system for a guard gate where a person would
'swipe' his badge through a reader and the system would display his picture
on a monitor in the guard station. Picture no match - person no enter.

If you need it, I can dig out the file and give you their company details.

John Schuch
All opinions expressed are mine and not Motorolas, their loss.

sreekanth@rgb.dec.com (Jon Sreekanth) (07/24/90)

In article <13183@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, hbg6@citek.phx.mcd.mot.com writes...
>In article <Iaa=_e200WBKE57EV0@andrew.cmu.edu> kz08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ken Zuroski) writes:
>>
>>Can anyone tell me if this is a common thing, that is, storing analog
>>information (or rather, storing information in analog) on media
>>conventionally used to store digital info? Obviously the hardware
>
>We evaluated an inspection system in our plant about 8 months ago which
>stored frames of video onto a 3 1/2" hard drive. The idea was to store an
>image of a perfect circuit board in the system, then electronically compare
>it to a live image of the same board type.
>
>It's difficult to get any hard technical details from a salesman but as I
>understand it, one frame takes up one track on the media. One field is on
>side one and one field is on side two. As the disk rotates, it switches from
>one side to the other to construct the full frame.

John,

I tried sending you email, but it bounced.

About the inspection system you mentioned : I assume it  was storing digitized
(compressed) images on the hard disk, in which case it's just conventional
technology ? Or was it actually a hardware-modified drive  ?

Thanks,

/ Jon Sreekanth

US Mail : J Sreekanth, 79 Apsley Street, Apt #7, Hudson, MA 01749
          Digital Equipment Corp., 77 Reed Road, HLO2-1/J12, Hudson, MA 01749
email   : sreekanth@rgb.dec.com
Voice   : 508-562-3358 eves, 508-568-7195 work

hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com (07/25/90)

In article <13807@shlump.nac.dec.com> sreekanth@rgb.dec.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

>In article <13183@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, hbg6@citek.phx.mcd.mot.com writes...
>>It's difficult to get any hard technical details from a salesman but as I
>>understand it, one frame takes up one track on the media. One field is on
>>side one and one field is on side two. As the disk rotates, it switches from
>>one side to the other to construct the full frame.
>
>John,
>
>I tried sending you email, but it bounced.
>About the inspection system you mentioned : I assume it  was storing digitized
>(compressed) images on the hard disk, in which case it's just conventional
>technology ? Or was it actually a hardware-modified drive  ?
>
>Thanks,
>/ Jon Sreekanth

As overwelming as the temptation to dismantle equipment at trade shows is,
I seem to be able to restrain myself, most of the time :-)

Not being able to peek inside I have to go by what the sales guy said. He
lead me to believe that they retained the drive sub-controller to run the
heads and spin the platters but the analog lines from the heads were
DIRECTLY connected to an external analog video board. I am inclined to
believe it given their demonstration. The badge system works by swiping
a card through a reader. The number of the card determines which picture
is displayed. The time lapse from swipe to display on the CRT was about
.1 seconds (judged by eye). It would seem to me that that's about enough
time to swing the heads out to the track but not long enough to read a big
block of data and cram it through a flash converter.

They did not seem to be real willing to get into the nitty-gritty tech.
details.

Now if I could just figure out why Email can get to me!

Thanks,

jack@focsys.uucp (Jack Houde) (07/25/90)

In article <13269@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com writes:
>In article <13807@shlump.nac.dec.com> sreekanth@rgb.dec.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:
>>
>>In article <13183@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, hbg6@citek.phx.mcd.mot.com writes...
>>>It's difficult to get any hard technical details from a salesman but as I
>>>understand it, one frame takes up one track on the media. One field is on
>>>side one and one field is on side two. As the disk rotates, it switches from
>>>one side to the other to construct the full frame.

We looked into this option some time ago vis-a-vis putting video
information on a floppy diskette. Needless to say it went nowhere
real quick given a floppy's dynamics. A hard disk on the other hand
might hold promise. Most disks rotate at 3600 rpm which means that
it would rotate once every 60th of a second, exactly one field time!

The only problem is if the media can handle any sort of reasonable
bandwidth (ie 640 x 480, 256 x 256 or higher resolution).

>>About the inspection system you mentioned : I assume it  was storing digitized
>>(compressed) images on the hard disk, in which case it's just conventional
>>technology ? Or was it actually a hardware-modified drive  ?
>>

>Not being able to peek inside I have to go by what the sales guy said. He
>lead me to believe that they retained the drive sub-controller to run the
>heads and spin the platters but the analog lines from the heads were
>DIRECTLY connected to an external analog video board. I am inclined to

I seriously doubt this. You need to work out all sorts of
biasing issues here.

>believe it given their demonstration. The badge system works by swiping
>a card through a reader. The number of the card determines which picture
>is displayed. The time lapse from swipe to display on the CRT was about
>.1 seconds (judged by eye). It would seem to me that that's about enough

You can move a 752 x 484 image onto an SCSI disk in about 1 second (DOS)
which is 363968 bytes. .1 seconds would allow 36396 bytes which is
lower resolution (142 x 256 if we assume an interlaced image) so it
could still be digital.

>time to swing the heads out to the track but not long enough to read a big
>block of data and cram it through a flash converter.

It takes 1/60th of a second to cram it thru the flash.

I would be interested in getting more information on these people
if its available.

Thanks.

hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com (07/26/90)

OK, enough conjecture! I dug out the file and REALLY read the description
of the video on hard drive system. Here are the highlights:

Images stored		1230 interlace, 2460 single field

Image 			Full screen, monochrome, single field or interlace

Storage media		20 Meg hard drive

Access time		65 Ms

Disk Organization	1 track per video field

Recording Method	Bit Cell Modulation

Resolution		512 X 256 field mode, 512 X 512 interlace mode

Recording time		16.7 Ms

Grey scale		analog equivalent to 256 grey shades

Refresh			Continuous

"No frame grabber required, video signals are directly recorded"
"sequential or random access and display of images [for animation]"
"accepts NTSC, PAL, CCIR, SECAM"
"stores equivalent of 300 megabytes of video information"

The company data is:

Image Research Corporation
8260 East Raintree
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(602)998-1113

If you call, tell them a friend saw it at the Mesa trade show last year :-)
( I'm not affiliated with this company but my brother runs the trade show)

Now; can someone tell me what bit cell modulation is?