[sci.electronics] VHF tranceiver specs

roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (07/29/90)

	I'm trying to compare several Marine VHF/FM tranceivers.  In the
spec sheet, there are figures for Sensitivity, subheading "12 dB SINAD".
I've never seen the acronym SINAD before; what does it mean?  The ratings
run from 0.20uV to 0.35uV.  Are these good numbers?  They also list "20 dB
quieting" (0.25uV to 0.40uV), but I'm not sure exactly what that means
either.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (07/29/90)

The two measurements are often complementary.

20db quieting level is how much signal is required to cause the
no-signal unsquelched output of a receiver to decrease by 20db as
the limiters saturate out the noise; it's a simple quick measurement of
receiver sensitivity.  .2uV to .4uV is typical of modern medium-price
highband (150-170MHz) receivers.

SINAD (Signal, Interference, Noise, And Distortion) measurements are
made by applying a modulated signal to the receiver and increasing the
rf carrier level until there is a 12db signal-to-(noise+distortion) ratio,
which is supposed to simulate the level at which a typical human can
clearly understand the received signal.

20db quieting is a fast and simple measurement which does not take into
account things like hum, distortion of received audio, and miscellaneous
crud in the receiver.  SINAD is about 20 years newer, but some people
don't quote it, even though it's well over 20 years since it was
standardized.

An interesting comparison to make is to look at the respective figures
for two receivers.  If the ratio between the quieting and SINAD for one
receiver is different from the ratio for another, there is quite likely
going to be a notable difference between their performance in weak
signal conditions.  I'd choose the one with the more sensitive SINAD
figure if all other things were equal.

Of course, you have to trust the manufacturer to have made the
measurements accurately.  Most service shops only check the quieting
quieting when they do a repair job, since setting up for a SINAD
measurement is a pain unless you have just the right instrument.
Normally a repair that restores the quieting sensitivity will also
restore the SINAD, so most don't check.

Typical service monitors which include SINAD capability might well run
the service shop over $15,000 per instrument.  Probably only the bench
tech has one if they have one at all; the field techs usually get the
cheaper instruments.
				- Brian

In article <1990Jul29.015732.21869@phri.nyu.edu>, roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
> 	I'm trying to compare several Marine VHF/FM tranceivers.  In the
> spec sheet, there are figures for Sensitivity, subheading "12 dB SINAD".
> I've never seen the acronym SINAD before; what does it mean?  The ratings
> run from 0.20uV to 0.35uV.  Are these good numbers?  They also list "20 dB
> quieting" (0.25uV to 0.40uV), but I'm not sure exactly what that means
> either.

	Your data sheet must have a typographical error.  In the particular
case of marine radios, the acronym SINBAD is used, which is a subjective
sensitivity rating originated by Sinbad the Sailor.

	I'm sorry; the Devil grabbed hold of my keyboard and made me write
the above.  :-)

	Seriously, though, SINAD is a widely accepted approach for the
specification of receiver sensitivity.  SINAD is an EIA method which
expresses in decibels the ratio of [SIGNAL + NOISE + DISTORTION] to
[NOISE + DISTORTION].  A 12dB ratio is used as an arbitrary point for
reference sensitivity.  The 12 dB merely indicates the measurement
ratio, and is not a specification for the receiver per se.

	12 dB SINAD sensitivities of 0.20 uV to 0.35 uV are good numbers;
offhand, on a top-of-the-line commercial VHF-FM radio radio like say,
the Motorola Micor, I don't ever recall seeing anything better than
0.175 uV - and that was with the preamp option.

	20 dB quieting sensitivity is used as a means to express the
noise figure of the radio in uV as opposed to dB.  The 20 dB is a fixed
ratio used to define a measurement condition.  The 20 dB quieting
sensitivity will always be a higher value than the 12 dB SINAD value.
The figures you give above are good numbers, and they don't get any
better for this type of radio.

	A specification which you haven't mentioned is EIA SINAD
selectivity, which would be my next concern.  I would not settle for
anything less than -95 dB @ +/- 30 kHz.  In addition, I would look
for spurious and image rejection of at least 95 dB.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry