[sci.electronics] UV Sensitive Detectors

barby@pedsga.UUCP (John Barby <barby>) (07/28/90)

In article <14380@venera.isi.edu> sllu@ISI.EDU (Shih-Lien Lu) writes:
>will detect UV light only (200nm to 400 nm wave length)?
>If not, is there any device that will detect light down to 200 nm wave
>length?
>Thank you in advance.
>

>Shih-Lien Lu
Many Silicon photodiodes (no biased types) will detect photons down to
that wavelength as long as they have a quartz window on the package. A
device which I have used with great success is made by EG&E
Electro-Optics Div. Model UV-215B. It has very good quantum efficiency
in the near-IR (~80%) and maintains good response down to O2 absorbtion
bands (~180nm). You'll need a stable, quiet, I/E converter with a gain
of about 1.0E9 or more. As far as limiting the response of a detector
to only the UV, try getting a Corion, Schott, or Corning filter
catalog. I know they have "Solar Blind" devices. Hope this helps.
Regards, J.Barby

gp310ad@prism.gatech.EDU (ROBERT DUCKWORTH) (07/31/90)

the folka at EG&G have some photodiodes with integral band pass filters.
we just ordered one for 254nm. approx 10 nm wide. $125/each singles.
Bob
Oh, these have built in op amp. I can't remember the part number but
EGG will be able to tell you.
Bob

--
ROBERT DUCKWORTH
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gp310ad

dmt@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (07/31/90)

In article <1357@pedsga.UUCP> barby@pedsga.UUCP (John Barby <barby>,SPCSYS,7683) writes:
>In article <14380@venera.isi.edu> sllu@ISI.EDU (Shih-Lien Lu) writes:
>>will detect UV light only (200nm to 400 nm wave length)?
>>If not, is there any device that will detect light down to 200 nm wave
>>length?

Check the Amateur Scientist column in the August 1990 Scientific American.

It gives two sources and prices for UV detectors and hints on using them
to measure the UV getting through the ozone layer.

They ain't cheap but for $200 (total) one source will even calibrate it for you.

--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmt