[sci.electronics] 2-D image sensors

tan@ee.rochester.edu (Chak Tan) (07/24/90)

Hi all,

I'm working on a project which requires the service of some type of
relatively inexpensive area imaging sensor.  The ideal would be an X-Y
addressable device with 100X100 to 256X256 resolution and 25 to 40 micron
element size.  I'm willing to consider complete cameras if they offer
precise control needed for windowing.  High resolution frame transfer CCDs
would work as a last resort.

So far, I've had little luck in obtaining device information from
manufacturers.  A local source for CCD arrays, Kodak, is reluctant to talk
about their products much less selling them.  Seiko Epson/SMOS supposedly
makes the HD7010 (a 244X244 pixel X-Y addressable CCD) but the
representitives I've contacted have no clue of its existance.  Micron
Technology no longer manufacture their OPTIRAM products.  One bright spot is
that I have received promotional literature on the ITT Vidisector Image
Dissectors; this item seems promising but I've had zero experience with this
type of device.  Hence, any information would be appreciated.  In fact, any
suggestions regarding area image sensors, companies to contact for such
devices, and design ideas would be of great help.

Emailed responses would be best for me.  I'll summarize to the net if enough
people are also interested in this info (please email me if you are).

Thanks in advance.

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.152210.13767@ee.rochester.edu> tan@ee.rochester.edu writes:
-I'm working on a project which requires the service of some type of
-relatively inexpensive area imaging sensor.

Try Sanyo.  They have a nice demo board that uses their CCD chip for around
$130.  This chip is also used in Uniden's baby watcher (called the Home Minder
if I remember correctly) which I bought from DAK.  $149 for the camera and
a 5 inch monitor.  Both run from 12 volts and put out a standard video signal.

Send me mail if you need more info.
/mike

--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (07/28/90)

In article <11757@teda.UUCP> ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) writes:
>In article <1990Jul24.152210.13767@ee.rochester.edu> tan@ee.rochester.edu writes:
>-I'm working on a project which requires the service of some type of
>-relatively inexpensive area imaging sensor.

I suggested checking out Sanyo's line of CCD sample boards.

Since I got so many inquiries, I figure it will be easier (and more
useful) to post.  I have nothing to do with any of these companies, other
than as a satisfied customer.

Sanyo has the EB9943-03 Evaluation board for $120.  The board measures
3.57x2.17x0.9"  It uses their LC9943 1/6" image sensor with 162x120 pixels.
Input is 12 volts DC, ~220 ma and the output is a standard NTSC composite
video signal.  It includes a lens and 6 IR LEDs for illumination in the
dark. (Yes, it works very nicely in infrared...)

DAK sells the Uniden House Detective (VM-100) for $149.90 + $ P&H.  This
includes a camera, based on the same Sanyo CCD (but with a larger PCB and
fewer surface-mount parts) and a 5 inch composite monitor.  The monitor is
powered from a 12 volt wallbrick and a 60 foot 3 conductor cable (+12,
video, and ground) connects the two.  (These pare last year's prices, so
call DAK to make sure they still have it for this price)

Sanyo Semiconductor Corp.		DAK Industries Incorporated
453 Ravendale Drive			8200 Remmet Avenue
Suite G					Canoga Park CA 91304-4182
Mountain View CA 94043			1(800) 888-7808
(415) 960-8582

/mike

--

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (07/31/90)

From article <1990Jul24.152210.13767@ee.rochester.edu>, by tan@ee.rochester.edu (Chak Tan):
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on a project which requires the service of some type of
> relatively inexpensive area imaging sensor.  The ideal would be an X-Y
> addressable device with 100X100 to 256X256 resolution and 25 to 40 micron
> element size.  I'm willing to consider complete cameras if they offer
> precise control needed for windowing.  High resolution frame transfer CCDs
> would work as a last resort.

Are you sure that you don't want frame transfer types?  Unless the
image you are looking at is only illuminated for a flash, the intensity
you read out of an x-y will depend on how long since the last read (or
you are using a shutter, of course).

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz.au!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.