[sci.electronics] MC68705 development

billq@ms.uky.edu (Billy Quinn) (07/27/90)

I am interested in using my PC to program the MC68705 microprocessor.  I
have found a company that offers an assembler, simulator/debugger and
programming board (TECI) for around $500.00.  I am curious to find any
information from those of you who have used a product such as this to
program the MC68705 chips.  And I am wondering if any one might be able
to suggest a less expensive way for me to program this family of chips.
I would be particularly interested in any public domain assembler/simulator
or any kits or plans to MAKE a programming board that can be driven with a
serial port (from a PC).

        Much thanks in advance,

--
    Billy Quinn (billq@s.ms.uky.edu)

craig@oakhill.UUCP (Craig Shaw) (07/28/90)

In article <billq.649042503@s.ms.uky.edu> billq@ms.uky.edu (Billy Quinn) writes:
>I am interested in using my PC to program the MC68705 microprocessor.  I

	      stuff deleted

>I would be particularly interested in any public domain assembler/simulator
>or any kits or plans to MAKE a programming board that can be driven with a
>serial port (from a PC).

  Believe it or not, Motorola has a BBS that will download a FREE 6805
cross-assembler. They also sell one part # M68HXBRASM for $190. I don't
know what the advantages of the commercial version are. I have used the
precursor to the freebie on VAX and SUN systems. It is written in C and
works quite well.

  You can reach the BBS by calling (512)891-FREE. I believe it's kept
pretty busy during business hours, so you might have to try a few times.
It also has lots of free software for the 6805 family as well as 68HC11,
6800, 68000, 68332, etc. There are math packages, an HC11 C-compiler, and
even a 68705R3 simulator! No charge except the long distance.

  The old Motorola databooks I have show schematics for building a
simple programmer board. It bootstrap programs from a 2532 32k EPROM, so you
would need an EPROM programmer.

  Better yet, Motorola's distributors carry a board called the M68HC05PGMR
for $168 MSRP. If you want to build it up yourself, Motorola will ship you
a FREE PC board and documentation. You just supply the parts and labor.

  Just call:

		Eva Cortez Abrego
		Product Information Consultant
		(512)891-2056

		Motorola Inc.
		MCU Distributor Marketing Group
		Microcontroller Division
		6501 William Cannon Drive West
		Austin, TX. 78735-8598

   This has been an unpaid, non-political announcement :-)
--

I'M THE NRA.
Craig D. Shaw - MCU Systems Design (512)891-2245  Motorola Inc., Austin, TX.

Motorola is happy to supply schematics and board layout for a programming
board that takes an EPROM and a 68705 and has the 68705 transfer the
contents of the EPROM to the 68705's EPROM.  In fact, that is the only way
to program the 68705; it has to program itself, you can't do it externally.
Given this, the problem is reduced to programming an EPROM, for which
innumerable solutions are available.

As for assemblers, you can probably find a good one without too much
trouble, but in a pinch you might want to check out my "aaa", in the
comp.sources.unix archives, which can assemble for almost any 8-bit
machine with an hour or so of work.  aaa is not, by any stretch of the
imagination, a terribly good assembler, but it does work.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (07/30/90)

In article <1990Jul29.201446.23082@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
]Motorola is happy to supply schematics and board layout for a programming
]board that takes an EPROM and a 68705 and has the 68705 transfer the
]contents of the EPROM to the 68705's EPROM.  In fact, that is the only way
]to program the 68705; it has to program itself, you can't do it externally.
]Given this, the problem is reduced to programming an EPROM, for which
]innumerable solutions are available.
I've been programming them for years by loading a RAM from the printer
port of my computer, then flipping a switch which causes the 68705R3
to program itself from the RAM.
--
John Moore HAM:NJ7E/CAP:T-Bird 381 {ames!ncar!noao!asuvax,mcdphx}!anasaz!john
USnail: 7525 Clearwater Pkwy, Scottsdale,AZ 85253 anasaz!john@asuvax.eas.asu.edu

jeff@carroll1.cc.edu (Jeff Bartig) (07/31/90)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

]Motorola is happy to supply schematics and board layout for a programming
]board that takes an EPROM and a 68705 and has the 68705 transfer the
]contents of the EPROM to the 68705's EPROM.  In fact, that is the only way
]to program the 68705; it has to program itself, you can't do it externally.
]Given this, the problem is reduced to programming an EPROM, for which
]innumerable solutions are available.

Check out page 82 of the Sept 1989 edition of Radio Electronics.
They have plans for building an 68705P3 programmer.  It takes the
contents of a 2716 EPROM and programs the 68705's internal EPROM
with it.  I believe they also had another article in the next months
edition that discussed some applications using the 68705.

I have Motorola's 68705PGMR board, so I haven't had a need to try
out the programmer shown in the RE article.  I received it earlier
this year, but I haven't had time to play with it yet.  It is for
programming the 68705C8 processor.  I believe it will take data
either from a host computer (PC or Mac) or from a 2764 EPROM.  This
kit comes with a disk containing software to download from a PC
and a simple assembler.  Both of these are also available from
Motorola's BBS at (512) 891-FREE.

Jeff

--
 Jeff Bartig, Carroll College   |     "The sooner you fall
 jeff@carroll1.cc.edu           |   behind, the more time you