[sci.electronics] Looking for electro-solar panels

evans@decvax.dec.com (Marc Evans) (07/30/90)

I am looking for somebody which sells electro-solar panels. I plan to use them
to charge batteries on a boat I use an electric motor on. I expect that I will
need the batteries to be able to be used for 5 hours per day, about 3 times
per week. Any information that would help me locate panels that I could use for
this project is greatly appreciated. Also, if you know specs that would let me
estimate rechange time, total panel surface area, and costs I welcome that as
well.

Thanks - Marc

Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

shaffer@net-sun1.nih.gov (Micheal Alan Shaffer) (07/31/90)

>I am looking for somebody which sells electro-solar panels. I plan to use them
>to charge batteries on a boat I use an electric motor on. I expect that I will
>need the batteries to be able to be used for 5 hours per day, about 3 times
>per week. Any information that would help me locate panels that I could
use for
>this project is greatly appreciated. Also, if you know specs that would let me
>estimate rechange time, total panel surface area, and costs I welcome that as
>well.

>Thanks - Marc

Several companies make solar panels for boats. I don't remember names
etc but if you pick up a copy of Sail magazine (or similar) they usually
advertise in the back

					mike

heskett@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Donald Heskett) (07/31/90)

In article <170@decvax.decvax.dec.com.UUCP> evans@decvax.dec.com (Marc Evans) writes:

   I am looking for somebody which sells electro-solar panels. I plan
to use them to charge batteries on a boat I use an electric motor on.

You might try the following company, which sells solar panels, storage
batteries and auxilliary electronics.  Incidentally, they also have
some wind power generators.  They advertise in Ocean Navigator, and
all their gear seems intended for boats.

OMS Solar
P.O. Box 1086
Severna Park, Md. 21146
(301) 544-4311

Small, generally less cost-effective, panels (and lots of other techie
goodies) are available from Herbach and Rademan.  Be warned that their
catalogs are incremental; each release updates only part of their product
line.

Herbach and Rademan
401 E. Erie Ave.
Philadelphia, Pa. 19134-1187
1-800-848-8001

Even less cost-effective, if somewhat more accessible, is Edmunds, of
course.  I don't have their address on hand, but it's an almost every
science magazine that a layman might read.

karn@envy.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (08/01/90)

Evans) writes:
|> I am looking for somebody which sells electro-solar panels.

The major manufacturers of conventional (mono- and poly-crystalline silicon)
solar arrays are Arco/Siemens, Kyocera and Solarex. The most common panel
puts out about 48 watts and costs $325-$375 in unit quantities, depending
on manufacturer.

Sovonics manufactures a third type of array using amorphous silicon.
These are tan or chocolate brown in color. The main advantage of these
arrays over the older types is that they can be manufactured in thin
flexible sheets that are lighter and much more rugged than the mono
and polycrystalline arrays. Unfortunately they are less efficient and
more expensive per watt.

I know of two companies that sell solar arrays primarily to the home
alternative energy market. One is Real Goods in Ukiah CA, and the other is
Backwoods Solar in Sandpoint Idaho. They also carry lots of related
hardware such as batteries, charge controllers, inverters, 12V lights,
etc.

Phil